Sign in to follow this  
stargirl.suter

E46 front Suspension rear control bushes

Hi all,

E46 320i 2000

So far 2.5 years ownership and now at 95,000km, is regularly serviced but it's starting to need attention..

Failed warrant for play in front suspenion at braking - minor I know, but sounds like the rear control bushes need replacing? Anything else I should have looked at?

Question: I've been told it's not costly, but boyfriend wants to do it himself - are the parts easy to come by? OEM preferable.

An pics available for reference?

Thanks in advance... (did search but nothing stood out - apologies if it's already posted somewhere.)

Stargirl

you can get the bushing from forum sponsor gavin:

Opening Hours

8.00 am to 5.30 pm Monday to Friday

Ph: (09) 444 9817

Fax: (09) 444 4755

Email: euroitalian@vodafone.co.nz

Address

15 C Saturn Place (off Paul Matthews Rd)

North Harbour

Albany

Auckland

its not as hard as it looks. but you will need to take it into a mechanic to get the old bushings out and the new bushing pressed in. or spend hours trying to DIY it. cost me 50 bucks.

If your after the part numbers have a look at realoem.com.

For installing the front control arm bushes you might need a press as said but there are ways around it

The inner and outer control arm ball joints and the tierod ends could also do with a check in the front. In the rear the rear trailing arm bushes are worth checking as well

You don't press cab bushes into the lollipop brackets like E36's & E30's. E46's have oil filled CAB bushes that come complete with brackets and they can be damaged if installed incorrectley.

Stargirl : If you live in Aucks, give me a call. We can do the installation for you. It's cheap

Edit: New Plymouth.. bit far away for me to help you.

I suggest you try these guys

http://www.autolign.co.nz/NewPlymouth.asp

It should not cost more than an hours labour to do both the front lower control arm bushes. There could be more to it though. Sometimes the testing stations are very vague about what they diagnose as being faulty

Edited by *Glenn*

Had the same issue at my last warrant and at about the same k's. Was around $400 from memory for the control arm and putting it in. That also included a set of front pads though.

Thanks guys!

I'll make a few calls around - I do have a Protecta insurance, but with a $250 excess, it's probably not worth making a claim unless it's more than just the bushes. Will have a look first and see...

Stargirl

As I had good experience with my other car using Nolathane bushes to replace the worn factory ones, I made some enquiry about using Nolathane in my 330Ci as well.

I was quoted $440 + GST for supply, fit and wheel alignment. Autolign/Racelign guys said there are 2 sizes for E46 depends on model, so they quoted me for the more expensive one just in case. Hope this can give you a reference on how much you will be spending...