Sign in to follow this  
Gus

6 1/2" components in e30

do these fit? cant remember

might buy some today, so please reply asap

i know 6" do, so can always go that way

in the front this is for

6 1/2s looked way too big...got 5 1/4 anyway, gonna use existing crossover and tweeter setup

coming from the man in the 540i.....keisha castle-hughs himself!

Guest Spargo

Haha nice one Jungle.

6.5" do fit, at least, boston acoustic and infintiy components do.

6.5" do fit, at least, boston acoustic and infintiy components do.

mine fit, just.

there shitty old fusions by the way

Yep tried all three myself - just don'ttry to put on grills or factory trim if you want the bonnet release to fit.

Mine does now, but only due to a bit of handy hack-saw work and the generosity of andrew/jontym50e30.

C'mon Gus. You haven't beaten the Limo on Grass, Dragstrip or Racetrack. :D

Looking forward to hearing the new speakers though.

Props to hearing someone purchasing decent speakers for once - Componants!

Aim your tweeters towards the windscreen for a less harsh sound.

http://www.audio-apex.com/ - the good sh*t (if you need anything else...)

O yeah, and what brand did you end up getting?

nothing too flash, just some inifinity reference series 5 1/4.....my only concern is that they have an inbuilt tweeter....but since they should only be getting low signal from my crossover, i shouldnt hear em too much? using my stock triangle mirror panels to mount the tweeters in....will run the fronts off my amp and rears off the HU....better than whats in there now. rears just some pioneer sixes that came with car

yep one 12....the box i have i like a lot better than my old box...really wide but thinnish, no wasted space in boot as it takes up whole width and not a lot of depth....and still room for strut brace

its a pioneer one, dont know much about it as put there by PO.....i dont even know my amp output! its a sony thats bout it, with lots of dials and sh*t...kinda fun.

mike, what your setup sound like? i was happy enough with mine in old car (same sub/amp, stock lux package speakers) so should survive with the new one

I found putting tweeters in the a-pillar sails even on -3db on x-over they sound too bright. I am thinking of putting a wedge to aim them slightly forward (The flush/swivel-mount won't fit as no space behind sails).

Try to get someone to tune your amp x-over so that it sounds right if you can't do it yourself. Proper tuning can make a big difference.

I have high-pass at around 60Hz to my fronts (6.5 inch components) and then lowpass at same level to sub.

Full pass to my 6.5 2-ways in the rear, but I have the fade right down so you can't hear them unless in the back seat anyway.

Still a bit bright, and having to up bass-boost etc to compensate which I don't want to do as it is not a full equaliser and f**ks with my sound reproduction.

I'll let you know what repointing the tweeters does gus, then maybe you could copy that?

Hmm, have a look at the pics I posted ages ago. Still got that setup, hasn't changed. I got the comps powered off an amp, i don't even use my back speakers and I got a small D class powering the 2 subs. I set it all up my self over almost a year ago, didn't know a hell of alot about sound stage etc, just went and did it. To me its fine, goes plenty loud enough with out distorting and sounds fine. Of course any audiophile would probably be apauled but its fine for my ears. Tweeters aren't too bright and i have them -3dB facing towards me.

Only reason I suggested Gus get his tuned is because he don't know how to work his amp - mine is self-tuned also, but I do know it could go slightly harder with an expert touch.

What components have you got? I had fusions (they were crap) tried some Bostons and loved 'em but weren't mine, got Infinity 6000CS's in there now. I find the infinity's are quite bright anyway even in the shop but should be able to sort that out...

Nah - leave the tweets facing left-right in the sails. Facing forward ruined the soundstage - it sounded like I was standing too far from the front of the concert lol. It exaggerrated the high-highs and so the sound was like it was coming from a tin can.

Facing towards me, the sound started to get blurred - the high beats were less distinct and it was like listening through a door. where some sounds were muffled and others too loud.

How they were, yes the sound was a bit bright, but I think a bit of playing with the levels should see me right.

So after all that blether - the answer is to try them and see what sounds good to you.=, but I would recommend facing each other and to hell with cancellation.