Sign in to follow this  
varun1794

e30 m50 trouble shooting

hey guys

my e30 m50b25 nv swap is up and running but i have run into a few problems

1) the idle is really jumpy once warm so wondering its afm or icv

2) my viscous fan nicks my radiator. ive heard you ca either swap for a e30 pre facelift radiator or get a electric fan system. what one do you guys reccomend? or do you have any any options?

3) i also9 need a bracket that holds the plasic sleve of the throtle cable but that is not urgent as i can always just make one.

any help would be higly appreciated

cheers

hey guys

my e30 m50b25 nv swap is up and running but i have run into a few problems

2) my viscous fan nicks my radiator. ive heard you ca either swap for a e30 pre facelift radiator or get a electric fan system. what one do you guys reccomend? or do you have any any options?

3) i also9 need a bracket that holds the plasic sleve of the throtle cable but that is not urgent as i can always just make one.

any help would be higly appreciated

cheers

1) this is a typical side effect of having a lightweight flywheel, though someone might be able to offer suggestions to smooth it a bit

2) dont run the viscous fan, just use the factory E30 aircon fan running off an E36 318i/ti temp sensor (commonly called a 88*C sensor)

3) dunno

1) this is a typical side effect of having a lightweight flywheel, though someone might be able to offer suggestions to smooth it a bit

2) dont run the viscous fan, just use the factory E30 aircon fan running off an E36 318i/ti temp sensor (commonly called a 88*C sensor)

3) dunno

lightened fly wheel? r u sure because the idle surges from roughly 500 to 1200 rpm if it is the fly wpuld you be knowing how too solve it

not really.. im not brilliant with engine diagnostics. my guess would be your ICV or your TPS sensors but someone more knowledgable on the topic will chime in. I really only posted in this thread to tell you about the fan thing

try cleaning the idle contol systems and check the maf sensor for debris. if still not solved check for any vacume leaks.

my m52 sounded like it had lumpy cams, turned out one of the injector seals were completly shot and was letting air in there. was also making a ticking noise. just make sure you give it a decent look over, ive got a lightend flywheel and my idle is smooth,very very smooth.

also with the fan, and e34 fan is bigger so that might evan be another idea, this is how i have done it. just requires some brackets to hold it in place but they arnt hard to put together. and control it using the sensor andy mentioned.

and sorry cant help with the throttle cable issue

make sure there are no vac leaks , biggest thing to cause rough running etc.

does your car have a factory aux fan on the front for air con etc

if it does just use that , replace the fan temp sensor in the radiator for a lower temp setting type like from a e36 318ti .

if it doesn't have AUX fan then get one from a e34 etc or even a e30 one might do and switch it using the factory bmw parts like i mentioned above

not really.. im not brilliant with engine diagnostics. my guess would be your ICV or your TPS sensors but someone more knowledgable on the topic will chime in. I really only posted in this thread to tell you about the fan thing

oh yer well still thanks alot for the help

if it does just use that , replace the fan temp sensor in the radiator for a lower temp setting type like from a e36 318ti .

if it doesn't have AUX fan then get one from a e34 etc or even a e30 one might do and switch it using the factory bmw parts like i mentioned above

sweet ill check for vac leaks and also wold that fan method you suggested be cheaper then the electric fans?

sweet ill check for vac leaks and also wold that fan method you suggested be cheaper then the electric fans?

its the electric fan in the front of the radiators that most bmw's have

but you may want to update it to a e34 type as they move more air.

most of these fans have a 2 stage speed and are controled by a temp switch screwed into the side of the radiator , hooked up though some relays.

if you use a temp switch from say a e36 318ti it will cut in earlier as most of the 318ti only use an electric fan ,they have no viscous fan setup

http://static.bmwfans.info/images/epc/ODg0Nl9w.png

post-279-1328641593.jpg

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

cool fan is sorted

but still worried about the idle, i forgot to mention it was blowing white/blue smoke and smelt a bit rich. mechanic said its afm or icv so still to test for vacum leaks

oh sh*t i just remembered! the exhaust doesnt have the 02 sensor hooked u to the car.

is that whats causing the idle hunt or is the exhaust shop right when they said thats not whats causing it