Sign in to follow this  
aespablo

Brake Dust

Hi. My E46 generates a relatively large amount of brake dust on the front mags as compared to my Toyota. The mags already look dirty after only a week of using the car. Is this normal for an E46 or is there something wrong with my car? I have to clean the front mags once a week and it's quite stressfull on my back. I spray WD40 on soft paper towels and use this to wipe away the brake dust. Does anyone know an easier way? Cheers.

Yes it is normal.

I'm no good with cleaning. I'll either use a waterblaster or paint the wheels black

WD40 is probably not such a good idea as it will more than likely allow the brake dust to cling to the wheel. Has your car recently been imported? I would say that it has a cheap aftermarket brake pad in it. It is best to look for a better quality low dust brake pad.

The best thing to clean wheels is just to use car wash and a sponge - that way it won't do any harm to the paint.

I think what you maybe experiencing is just a BMW OEM pad thing.

I noticed the same thing and was constantly cleaning my wheels.

research showed BMW OEM pads are relatively soft and known for dust. I sourced and fitted a set of AXXIS deluxe pads and dust has been reduced 50% (at least!).

Bite & feel at OEM if not slightly better.

Highly recommend. :)

I still use the BMW pads. I give the rims a good coat of car polish once a year which makes washing the stuff off easier.

The dealer seems to also pressure wash the rims during servicing / warrants , but this ended up lifting the clear coat on my old Type 1's so wouldn't recomend doing this too often .(wife's car factory painted rims where fine with this)