Sign in to follow this  
OneSeventy

Strange whine / fan noise in E46.

Just today my E46 has started making a low pitched and fairly quiet whining noise as I drive along. It sounds like it could absolutely be a fan making the noise, but the engine isn't running any hotter than normal and it was there since I turned the car on this morning.

It is intermittent too, I put the car in neutral and lifted the bonnet but the noise was gone by the time I had got the hood open. It seems to start up when I accelerate but isn't always there. About half and half I guess.

Also the car has started to shudder a little bit when in first gear and accelerating slowly while cold. Should I just give it a bit more gas (this seems to stop the shudder) or is this a problem I need looked at?

Could these issues be related?

I'm not hugely mechanically minded but I'm slowly learning. I was hoping someone on here might offer some advice.

Scratch that, it seems to do it when the car is moving but not accelerating. Then when I come to a stop, it will continue and then turn off after a few seconds.

I'd say it is actually doing it more like 70% of the time I'm driving so it's pretty damn annoying! It sounds like it probably is a fan but it hasn't been doing this up until yesterday, and I'm not sure what I should do to fix it.

Any advice at all?

As I've said to you previously, we can check it for you. How did you get on with your airbag problem ?

As I've said to you previously, we can check it for you. How did you get on with your airbag problem ?

Thanks mate. The only problem with the airbag problem is that I want to bring it out to you but my work hours and your opening hours cause an issue. Not your issue of course, but I can't afford to take time off work right now.

I start back at uni in a couple of weeks so I'll have loads more free time to bring the car out to you then. The car is going to HellBM tonight after work to get a few interior parts swapped and Ray said he could scan it for me to at least find out what the issue is in the meantime. Obviously I'll still bring it out to you when I can for repair.

Edited by OneSeventy

I worked out what is causing the low whiney fan noise. It only occurs when the air con is on (the snowflake button). Should I be worried about this noise or is it fairly normal with air con?

Just to clarify, it's not the sound of the fan that blows the air round the car. It sounds like it's coming from the engine bay which is why I thought it was engine related until today.

It's likely to be one of the tensioner, or the idler bearing's that is causing the noise. Loading up when the AC is cycling. Best get it checked very soon as these bearings are renown for falling apart and turning the drive belts into spagetti resulting in more damage and a possible overheat.