Sign in to follow this  
M3_Power

F1 - tickets ect?

Anyone here been to a Grand Prix? I've never been despit being an absolute fanatic.

Have decided finally to actually go to one this year so need a bit of recommendations on where to get tickets ect ....

So if you've been, any tips, suggestion on where to shop for tickets ect?

Looking at possibly Monaco, Silverstone, Canada or the German GP.

Melbourne for atmosphere is insane. One of the best. Even drivers think that. Plus its cost effective. V8 Super Cars, Aussie GT's with the Lambo's etc in it. Carrera Cup, and of course the F1. Awesome event!!

I went in March 04, was real young at the time but will be something il never forget. The sound is just insane, need ear plugs or you end up with sore ears like myself. Definately worth the experience i say

Been to Silvertone, circuit is in the middle of nowhere. (and driven the short circuit in a 355)

My pick would be Monaco if you are going to the northern hemisphere. Sound of the F1 bouncing of the city would be amazing.

Hear good things about Singapore as well from colleagues.

Monaco will hurt your pocket the most by far the accomodation on f1 weekend is multiplied by a factor of 4 in some places, but it will be the one you will never forget, an item on any motorsport fans bucket list for sure.

I went to Melbourne last year and going again this year, quick, easy and absolutely brilliant (hence why i am going back) and i would highly recommend it as your first f1 outing, and if you love it, its the first in the calendar so there will be time to go to the next one if you choose to.

Okay, Melbourne seems to get a lot of votes and was my first pick ... would I be too late to get decent tickets? I've been looking on formula1.com for a while now and read online that you have to be at the venue to pick up tickets and can be a pain in the ass to do.

Have also come across the following two websites which apparently is legit and offers good value for money apparently:

www.bookf1.com

http://www.monaco-grand-prix.com

Monaco does look very expensive, silverstone actually wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be (given how popular it is). If I had the means I'd take the whole year off and follow the circus around.

There's also this crowd in NZ - www.experiencegroup.co.nz (anyone have any experience ith them??)

Where's the best place to sit at Melbourne?? Is General Admission any good???

Sorry for all the questions, but really need some feedback from those that have actually been.

Neal, I've had a friend attend Singapore and he didn't recommend it. Not really a spectator circuit according to him. Night race is special though.

Edited by M3_Power

Okay, Melbourne seems to get a lot of votes and was my first pick ... would I be too late to get decent tickets? I've been looking on formula1.com for a while now and read online that you have to be at the venue to pick up tickets and can be a pain in the ass to do.

Have also come across the following two websites which apparently is legit and offers good value for money apparently:

www.bookf1.com

http://www.monaco-grand-prix.com

Monaco does look very expensive, silverstone actually wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be (given how popular it is). If I had the means I'd take the whole year off and follow the circus around.

There's also this crowd in NZ - www.experiencegroup.co.nz (anyone have any experience ith them??)

Where's the best place to sit at Melbourne?? Is General Admission any good???

Sorry for all the questions, but really need some feedback from those that have actually been.

Neal, I've had a friend attend Singapore and he didn't recommend it. Not really a spectator circuit according to him. Night race is special though.

go on a organised tour the first time i reckon,do your own thing from then on.

I went to bathurst last year with Williment Travel was expensive but the total package would be very difficult to do yourself.Accomodation is very difficult to book from here(for bathurst).They do a package for the f1 too

Edited by kiwi535

Have been to the Shanghai Grand Prix. The sound the engines made was fantastic. I fell in love with the exhaust note on the AMG Mercs that circulated the track between the races. Wouldn't recommend the venue, however, as the smog makes it hard to see the cars. The hawkers selling knock offs was unreal. Inside the venue, the merchandise was expensive but if you walked to the outside fence, the traders were selling knock off of the merchandise for next to nothing. Money was passed through the hurricane style fence and the shirts would be thrown back over. Only in China ...

Edited by RvT

+1 for Australia. Awesome track and so easy to get to only 5 mins on free trams from the city.

Atmosphere is something else, even going out for dinner after.

I have been to Monaco on GP week but the closest I got was driving the track the day after due to ridiculous accommodation and tickets.

You also don't see alot as most viewing areas only see one corner.

Try ringing Trevor Mallard, apparently he does a good deal on tickets !!

:lol::blink:

I went to the Japan 08 GP and it was excellant. We ordered online and the tickets were sent to our hotel.

Do you know anyone working at red bull?

Mate of mine went over a few years ago when he was managing a bar in akl, mentioned to his red bull rep that he was going, put in a word and got him a pit pass, managed to get in and see the redbull car/drivers

Its all about the hook ups.

Try ringing Trevor Mallard, apparently he does a good deal on tickets !!

:lol::blink:

LOL ... that brought a smile to my face ....

Especially after my flight booking fiasco ... haha .. Was suppose to book Auckland to Melbourne ... ended up booking it completely the opposite direction (goes to show how often I travel haha) .... All sorted now though phew!!!

Do you know anyone working at red bull?

Mate of mine went over a few years ago when he was managing a bar in akl, mentioned to his red bull rep that he was going, put in a word and got him a pit pass, managed to get in and see the redbull car/drivers

Its all about the hook ups.

I wish I had hook ups in this department ... unfortunately I don't. Although having said that, I have the mobile number to the guy that runs RedBull in NZ ... he wanted to buy my car last year ...

Thanks for all the feedback guys ... have decided to go to Melbourne for my first GP : )

All booked and ready .... very excited!!!!

Been to the Melbourne one in 2001, was in the Jones stand at the end of main straight, was really excellent! Be the cheapest flight wise, the Monaco GP would be awsome, that'll have to be the best race of the season!

I go to Melbourne every year, since 05 anyway.

Use a group booking for the first time. I have used Wiliments and starsas agents. Both about the same peice and offer the same kind of deal.

You can do 4 stands over the four days as a starter, or stick to one stand. I use Jones stand only, its a bit dearer but you are on turn 1, see turn 2 and have 2 big screens to watch.

Use good headphones with a radio as its the best way to keep up with the commentary as its almost impossible to hear anything without them.

Great atmosphere, the trams around the city are free if you carry the ticket so you can get to and from the track at no cost.

Fantastic time!!

I have been to the old US grand Prix, Silverstone and Albert Park a few times and out of those 3 i preferred Albert Park for atmosphere! I like the Jones or Prost stands as they are on and on the run to the straight also if you can get your hands on a pit pass it's fully worth the extra $.

If you know your way around a big city and are going with a couple of people i wouldn't bother going in a group to Melbourne, or if you are keen to go to Europe, what about going to a top speed track like Hockenheim or Monza and with the Euro getting weaker by the day could be a reasonable option.