Sign in to follow this  
leithcm

Engine ECU - Reprogram Auto -> Manual

I've got a manual, non asc and non traction control ecu from an m52b28. I've no longer got any use for it

Can I try it out, please?

^^^ My theory as well..however some people in the "know" say it's possibly the flywheel. Thats why I want to try a Manual 328i Siemens DME for a M52B28 if anyone has got one

I thought you were running a UUC flywheel ? which is about as light as you want to get without effecting crank harmoics.

Well, time to report - again. Took the car to a local tuning expert who has the ear of a number of people in Europe with experience in this type of ECU modification. He searched a number of "trade only" forums, and spoke with a number of people who had experience with this procedure. One person had performed this successfully 6 times! Eventually he acquired a manual file from an expert in Switzerland.

Nothing worked. Even after 9 hours trying!!

Best he could do was to load up a file which the ECU would "take", but then the idle was too low (it would stall) and the mixture was too rich. Finally all he could do was put the original file back in, and now the car is exactly the same as it was before.

My tuner was of the opinion that there was something odd about my car - it seems to have have a pretty aggressive locking system in the ECU that prevented a "normal upload" of data and file information. His experience was that this type of aggressive system was only apparent in much later model cars.

Ah, well, win some; loose some! :mellow:

Edited by bikerchris

Hmmm, so in short everyone with a manual conversion is stuck with the auto program then?

Mine drives fine, but I would have been keen to 'optimise' for manual, damn.

Hmmm, so in short everyone with a manual conversion is stuck with the auto program then?

Mine drives fine, but I would have been keen to 'optimise' for manual, damn.

It has been suggested to try a manual ECU - I have one from a M52B28, non ASC and non traction control - which I was going to try. However, the tuning people did not recommend that as my car is the M52B25, so would have different basic settings. Someone is welcome to try mine if they like......... I have the EWS that goes with it. Edited by bikerchris