Sign in to follow this  
mrad01

F10 M5 Drive at Hampton Downs

Spent 1/2 a day in the new F10 M5 around hampton downs today with Mike Eady. Managed quite a few laps in the car in the wet and dry - fast laps and slow. Overall, its a big heavy cruiser which can get up and go - but it won't keep time with the 1M Coupe or M3 on a track. It isn't what it was designed for - but it sure is impressive!!

I also spent time in the 1M and M3 and even though I'm a M3 owner - I'd have to tip my hat to the 1M as being a better hampton downs car. It was bloody incredible. The turn in into the hairpin was nuts and the front end grip seems unlimited. What Mike said though was that when it lets go - it goes big time.

Back to the big M5. Good news is that the turbo V8 has NO turbo lag - you have no idea it is a turbo car - and once the revs get up the sound is impressive. When you button off and downshift, it backfires and burbles away (and I mean in a good way) It sounds really raw and mental. So if the next M3 engine is derived from this engine in any way - there is absolutely nothing to be worried about. It will deliver.

Brakes? Great.

Steering? Good, a bit light, but a nice feel

Comfort? Yes. Very much so.

Would *I* buy one? No. I prefer small M cars I think...for now...until I drive the new M6...

Thanks for the review! :)

I think its probably more designed for inter contential country hopping that track driving. Which in my view probably makes it a better car for day to day than the M other cars.

I agree totally with you about hampton track driving. Its a track thats suited more to smaller torquer cars.

I also have an M3 and test drove the M5 the other day. The M3 is so much fun to drive and I do prefer it over the M5. The M5 is still a real nice car to drive and has all the bells and whistles. It doesn't feel at all like a big car and there is definitely no turbo lag and it stops really well. 557 HP is a lot of go and I enjoyed the drive around the bays here in Wellington. The guy in front of me in the CLK 63 pulled over and stopped when he saw me whistle up behind him. I was going to pass him anyway.