Sign in to follow this  
_ethrty-Andy_

M40B16 Singlemass fly conversion question

Considering converting the M40B16 in my 316i to a single mass. i know its easy to do and i may be able to get a hp or 2 from it but i dont really care about that, I am more interested to see how it will affect fuel economy, if at all. Is it (realsitically) worth doing?

is this in an e36? i had a m40b18 in my e30 and had a single mass from factory (or atleast as far as i know it did, could be wrong).

not to sure how it would save much gas, wouldnt be that much weight differance, and didnt think an m40b16 would use much gas anyways.

Guest Ari Gold

is this in an e36? i had a m40b18 in my e30 and had a single mass from factory (or atleast as far as i know it did, could be wrong).

not to sure how it would save much gas, wouldnt be that much weight differance, and didnt think an m40b16 would use much gas anyways.

It's the other way around. Using a dual mass means you can lower idle speed and save gas. Switching to a single will increase fuel consumption.

buy an apexi afc easy to use got one on my m40b18 thats using a afm not maf still works good and pick up economy

Ive got one for sale if you need one andy :D

E30. And your right, it doesnt use much at all. My sort of but not really goal for this car is to make it as economical as possible within reason. ie im not spending $1000 to save .1L/100km. but seeing as im down there i thought id check. Currently im sitting at around 7.2L/100km town driving only, hand calculated so give or take 10%. at 50km/h the econometer says im getting bang on 6. but that was with a slipping clutch too.

It's the other way around. Using a dual mass means you can lower idle speed and save gas. Switching to a single will increase fuel consumption.

Thanks! couldnt find a definite answer but was talking to a friend of mine that is into trucks and said that applied there!

buy an apexi afc easy to use got one on my m40b18 thats using a afm not maf still works good and pick up economy

i dont know what that is? lol n00b

oh i see. just did a google, i dont really think i need it and probably expencive anyways.

due to the apparent unavailability of a (new) dual mass clutch, i have ended up being forced to do this conversion against my will. oh well. Only place that i tried that had one was BMW (obviously) and they wanted 5-600 for it ex germany. uhm i dont think so.

to be fair though, most of the driving this car will see is city driving, so maybe a single is better with the constant rpm changes. the 5er is for the long haul stuff!

have sourced a singlemass locally thanks Brent!