Sign in to follow this  
Spode

OBC help

Hi, I have been lurking around here for a while and learning plenty about my 1992 E36 sedan. I have always been into toyota's but decided for a chance of pace and loved the shape of the E36 coupe, unfortunately I didnt have the money for a 2 door and had to settle for an auto sedan instead which I purchased for 3 grand. Since owning I have done some aesthetic sh*t but have now become interested in the prospect of an OBC. Since doing some research I pulled out the front of the center console and saw the 2 plugs circled in the photo but am not sure what exactly im looking at? I have seen photos of the plugs which the OBC uses and these look very similar ( shape/color ) but am worried that its a controller for the climate control or something?

Can anyway confirm/deny or tell me what it is?

The car is a 1992, 318i sedan if it helps? It has electric windows and climate control.

Cheers,

Tom

Posted Image

Posted Image

no those are not obc plugs (heater control box) ,

do you have the anolog clock ,

would be a big job to retro fit a obc

Yes I have the anolog clock, I have read some retrofit threads and it does not seem too hard. ( Im a apprentice electrician and work with lots of PLC and DDC controls )

When you say heater control box, I have a the primitive style with the analog dials which have temp setpoints. Is this the brains for that?

Cheers,

Tom

Yes I have the anolog clock, I have read some retrofit threads and it does not seem too hard. ( Im a apprentice electrician and work with lots of PLC and DDC controls )

When you say heater control box, I have a the primitive style with the analog dials which have temp setpoints. Is this the brains for that?

Cheers,

Tom

yes thats correct.

when they talk about retro fitting the full obc they normally start with a car that has the simple digital clock and check panel then add some wiring and plugs to that , but not start from scratch with analog clock with only 3 wires going into it.

so you would need a fairly complete wiring loom from the fuse box and engine plugs , tail lights etc to add one in properly

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

Ah I should have specified, I am not fussed if I don't have any of the check control functions, I am only really interested in fuel consumption, mileage, average speed, air temp and a few other things.

I will only wiring used from the clock will be for constant 12v.

Cheers for the info