Sign in to follow this  
slvrbmw

E39 540i

The top radiator hose in this example looks like it's ready to burst at the plastic connection to the water pump any day now. The plastic shouldn't be brown like that, well only if it's very old. Based on that pipe I'd say the rest of the cooling system should be looked in to immediately.

Common issues on the 540i are well documented on the net. This one looks to have the m62tu which seem to be more prone to timing chain rail failure. The repair is not a cheap fix, expect little change from 4 - 5k if you take it to a professional to get done - They will probably find numerous other parts while they strip the entire front of the engine down that will need replacing. These motors also rattle on idle, and slightly above. It's normal, but expensive to repair if you're sick of the noise (new vanos gears)

I've owned my 98' 540i (with the same engine) for nearly 4 years now. Bought it with 220k on the clock, now done just over 280k. This is what I've serviced so far :

1.) Reaction rod bushes (steering wheel judder at approx. 80km/h)

2.) Front brake discs and pads

3.) Centre link(drag link)

4.) valley pan gasket, along with valve cover gaskets, vanos solenoid gaskets, intake manifold gaskets.

5.) Both oil seperator valves

6.) Timing chain guide rails, deflection plate, new timing chain due to worn guide rails.

7.) Radiator, water pump, thermostat, Heater hoses.

8.) Windscreen washer jets, hoses and fittings (go brittle and leak over time)

9.) drive belt, and associated pulleys.

Next service will be all shocks and springs, along with new spring pads, pockets, strut mounts. The example you're looking at seems to have standard suspension. Ones that have been lowered on stiff springs and shocks can 'mushroom' the strut towers - look it up on google and you'll see what i mean.

The top radiator hose in this example looks like it's ready to burst at the plastic connection to the water pump any day now. The plastic shouldn't be brown like that, well only if it's very old. Based on that pipe I'd say the rest of the cooling system should be looked in to immediately.

Common issues on the 540i are well documented on the net. This one looks to have the m62tu which seem to be more prone to timing chain rail failure. The repair is not a cheap fix, expect little change from 4 - 5k if you take it to a professional to get done - They will probably find numerous other parts while they strip the entire front of the engine down that will need replacing. These motors also rattle on idle, and slightly above. It's normal, but expensive to repair if you're sick of the noise (new vanos gears)

I've owned my 98' 540i (with the same engine) for nearly 4 years now. Bought it with 220k on the clock, now done just over 280k. This is what I've serviced so far :

1.) Reaction rod bushes (steering wheel judder at approx. 80km/h)

2.) Front brake discs and pads

3.) Centre link(drag link)

4.) valley pan gasket, along with valve cover gaskets, vanos solenoid gaskets, intake manifold gaskets.

5.) Both oil seperator valves

6.) Timing chain guide rails, deflection plate, new timing chain due to worn guide rails.

7.) Radiator, water pump, thermostat, Heater hoses.

8.) Windscreen washer jets, hoses and fittings (go brittle and leak over time)

9.) drive belt, and associated pulleys.

Next service will be all shocks and springs, along with new spring pads, pockets, strut mounts. The example you're looking at seems to have standard suspension. Ones that have been lowered on stiff springs and shocks can 'mushroom' the strut towers - look it up on google and you'll see what i mean.

Thanks mate - very useful. Is a 528i a better option maybe?

Ones that have been lowered on stiff springs and shocks can 'mushroom' the strut towers - look it up on google and you'll see what i mean.

Actually - any of the suspension can do it too! My 525 with fatory motorsport suspension had done it, as the shocks were poked. The bumpstops had worn down to nothing (one was actually gone!). I made a 10mm thich plate and fitted it to the strut top to raise the car 10mm, AND strengthen the tower - plus a strut brace on top to sandwich the tower in. The strut top mount is alloy too, so is very easy to bend and provides no support to the tower.

Beisen systems do a slightly thicker spacer that quietens down the Vanos gears - quit a lot cheaper than a "proper" rebuild.

A friend has an NZ new 540i Touring. He's just rebuilt the motor at 265kms - it had an oil consumption issue from the oil separator self destructing (it was basically powder) and the timing chain tensioner was basically worn right through and at least one end had snapped off and disappeared!

The are an impressive motor though!

You'll want to get the trans serviced, with the correct oil and a genuine BMW filter (cost is irellevant anyway - you hardly ever change them). It's probably never been done, as they are "sealed for life" which means BMW won't pay to change that oil under warranty as part of the free servicing introduced for some markets!