Sign in to follow this  
m325i

LSD

That diff has been relisted so many times it's not funny.

I've been asking him whether it would fit into my car, but since he has no interest in selling it to me, every single time he's decided to ignore me !!

:angry::angry::angry:

Dude if i were you id buy that shizzle!

That's looks cheap as, i have no idea of the list price, but thats gotta be a steal.

If you drive your car 'hard' do it.

If you are more a relaxed driver, you could maybe spend that money better elsewhere.

I would really love to buy it, but it seems the guy doesn't want to answer my question ... so unless i can get confirmation that it will fit on my car i'm not going to buy it...

and i do drive my car pretty hard.

Ali, what are you doing asking a seller if it will fit, go do some research of your own like asking a dealer or something. I would've thought that an E46 diff would fit ALL E46's, just like how the E30 diffs do and some. Ring some people, do some talking.

Just so you know .... i won't ask the dealers that question because they would get really suspicious at me .. and thats not cool ... hahah ...

Anyway i'm not in a rush to go and buy one ... just would be nice to have one ... and if he doesn't want to answer my question .. then fine ...

From the pic it appears to be a 4.44 ratio from an Auto.

In the EPC it doesn't list a LSD for a 318 at all, so unless it has an aftermarket centre I'd be a little suspect, a quick twist on the side flanges will soon tell (unless it is a torsen centre).

The Compact & Limo have the same small case (typ 168) diff, I would assume the casing would be the same between the compact & limo, but if they are not then the centre's can be swapped (esp. if the 4.44 ratio doesn't suit).

Sorry if you don't have a big monitor.

post-18-1120172251.jpg

Can you word it in something that i can understand.

And a question was asked a wee while ago, he turned one side and both turns .. so it's a lsd ..

Finally got an response from the guy ...

SELLER'S ANSWER:

sorry mate, been waiting for the experts to tell me, just followed it up

myself and by the listing it wont, but it could be just the housing

different where it mounts, i dont have compact to look at the moment.

sorry

Finally got an response from the guy ...

SELLER'S ANSWER:

sorry mate, been waiting for the experts to tell me, just followed it up

myself and by the listing it wont, but it could be just the housing

different where it mounts, i dont have compact to look at the moment.

sorry

Can you word it in something that i can understand.

And a question was asked a wee while ago, he turned one side and both turns .. so it's a lsd ..

hmmm, I don't think it gets much simpler than that sorry.

If it is a clutch type LSD when you rotate one of the side flanges the opposite side will rotate in the same direction.

If it is a Torsen diff you can't tell, so you would have to take the rear cover off the diff and have a look at the centre.

What that screen dump say's is that the E46 compact, coupe, touring etc... have the same part listed for the rear diff. so it should bolt straight in.

The only difference could be the ratio, in which case the crown wheel & pinnion are inter-changable between yours and the one forsale.

For those of you with a small case diff (typ 168) the LSD centre will fit into it (petone).

So another words you are pretty certain it would fit onto my car right ??

One way or another .. whether i have to change the internals over or i can just bolt the new one straight on right ??

How much effort does it take to swap a diff?

Is there sensors and stuff that i need to take care of ?

Or special things that i need to look out for ??

So another words you are pretty certain it would fit onto my car right ??

One way or another .. whether i have to change the internals over or i can just bolt the new one straight on right ??

How much effort does it take to swap a diff?

Is there sensors and stuff that i need to take care of ?

Or special things that i need to look out for ??

I'm not going to say that, but the info provided implies that, your call.

Swapping a diff is a piece of cake esp. if your not hung over, aye ///Carl.

The sensor (if not included) can be swapped from your diff to the new one.

Err... mechanically i dont a single thing .. hah .. and i don't want to work on my car ...

ugh ... i guess no one is 100% sure .. i'll just leave it ... unless some one can give me an 100% answer ..

If it is a clutch type LSD when you rotate one of the side flanges the opposite side will rotate in the same direction.

should bolt straight in.

I found this isnt the case with the old E3 diffs.

The diffs are generally that tight they wil pass this test, the 3.0 diffs also have an enclosed spider gear diff, so at first look in the inspection hole it looks like a LSD as well!

If you were to buy this as an LSD and without the benefit of a factory part number that could confirm that the diff is LSD, I would only be buying it with a conditional sale....ie if you open it up and found out it is a spider gear diff...then you get your money back.

Either way, if it is or isn't a lsd i don't mind ... i seem to go thru diffs like chips ...

so it would be nice to have spare parts ... since it's so cheap anyway .. ahha ..

I'm not saying that i need a diff anytime soon .. but it would be nice to have is all i'm saying .. hahahha ... thats why i'm not in that much of a hurry to run off and buy it ...

Man id kill for a lsd for my car for that cheap. It would be rude not to bye it mate!

It is a typ168, so if you got a small case E30 diff you could swap the LSD center over.

A 12a doesn't have any torque so no worry about breaking it :)

LSD Good

Open Diff Bad

what will it take to make you people understand

It is a typ168, so if you got a small case E30 diff you could swap the LSD center over.

How do i know if my diff is small case, i'v never seen the diference in e30 diffs?

How do i know if my diff is small case, i'v never seen the diference in e30 diffs?
Small case (typ168) have 6 bolts on the rear cover and 4 on the side flanges.

Medium case (typ188) have 8 bolts on the rear cover and 6 on the side flanges.

All have 6 bolts for the CV's.