Sign in to follow this  
efp0wa

Transponder key missing internals

Hi all,

Just got a e46 318i and the only key that was provided with the vehicle is missing its internals and appears to have been damaged as it is glued together, the buttons are also missing.

Is this altering the performance of the electrics, alarm, immobiliser etc? I intent to replace when I have a spare $500 for a new key.

If it has no EWS how is it starting the vehicle?

Good question?...

It will only be the remote parts that are missing. The transponder micro chip is probably glued into the key or behind the reader coil on the column.

BTW: When the door barrel breaks you will not be able to get into the car if the rear hatch has no manual key barrel in it.

Edited by *Glenn*

It will only be the remote parts that are missing. The transponder micro chip is probably glued into the key or behind the reader coil on the column.

BTW: When the door barrel breaks you will not be able to get into the car if the rear hatch has no manual key barrel in it.

Ok I opened the key and i see a small transponder glued onto the end of the metal peice of key.

Haha, "When" it brakes? Excellent... I'll get a new key sorted.

Haha, "When" it brakes? Excellent... I'll get a new key sorted.

Yes... they BREAK... we do between 6 & 10 E46 & X5 door barrels a month. The blade is meant to be for emergency opening only. You should have a working remote key for daily use.

Yes... they BREAK... we do between 6 & 10 E46 & X5 door barrels a month. The blade is meant to be for emergency opening only. You should have a working remote key for daily use.

Actually I think it is from lack of use, the mechanism get dried out from lack of lubrication. Then when someone actually goes to use it, it fails.

Its more of a poor design issue really, just like the X5 door handle carriers. I've done 5 of those in 3 weeks