Sign in to follow this  
m325i

Any Electricians?

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice.

I just installed a new TV, (new house). But when some lights, or the bathroom fan etc are turned on, the TV flashes for a split second.

I bought a Uninteruptable Power Supply and an 'expensive' surge protector multi board, but it doesnt seem to have made any differnce.

Last ight I tried plugging the TV into other outlets, but it still has the same problem.

The UPS is bought seems pretty sht, is a 'better quality' one worth a try. I would have thought that this would have 'buffered' any power fluctuations? EDIT: Do I need to get an 'online' UPS?

Any advice would be grand.

Cheers

Nick

Edited by Nick G

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice.

I just installed a new TV, (new house). But when some lights, or the bathroom fan etc are turned on, the TV flashes for a split second.

I bought a Uninteruptable Power Supply and an 'expensive' surge protector multi board, but it doesnt seem to have made any differnce.

Last ight I tried plugging the TV into other outlets, but it still has the same problem.

The UPS is bought seems pretty sht, is a 'better quality' one worth a try. I would have thought that this would have 'buffered' any power fluctuations? EDIT: Do I need to get an 'online' UPS?

Any advice would be grand.

Cheers

Nick

The UPS should help ONLY if it is constant online - most cheapish ones flick over to batteries when the power goes off. An online one is continually running of the batteries and continually charging them at the same time (in effect). With online, your next issue is ually the noise of the fan :-(

Surge protectors are generally useless, but usually offer a warranty/insurance of some kind, so all you're really buying is the warranty.

You may have quite a number of outlets connected to the same breaker or RCD, or mutliple breakers connected to one RCD in the house, so many of the power points maybe reasonably closely tied.

na its a series 4 samsung.

Hmmm, so any 'Line interactive' UPS wont fix it? I need an 'Online' one? They are quite expensive aren't they?

You comments about lots of things being on the same RCD sound right. Its an old house which has a 'new' meter and switchboard.

What would you suggest I do? $500 for an online UPS seems a bit ridiculous. Thanks for your comments.

EDIT: I have been recomnded an Automatic Voltage Regulator.

Edited by Nick G

na its a series 4 samsung.

Hmmm, so any 'Line interactive' UPS wont fix it? I need an 'Online' one? They are quite expensive aren't they?

You comments about lots of things being on the same RCD sound right. Its an old house which has a 'new' meter and switchboard.

What would you suggest I do? $500 for an online UPS seems a bit ridiculous. Thanks for your comments.

EDIT: I have been recomnded an Automatic Voltage Regulator.

How many watts (or VA) is your telly rated at? I have a surprising number of UPS's sitting in my garage! All are online types. Kinda heavy to ship, but I can probably get one to the North Shore (Glenfield) on the Friday after Anzac (when I'm at Car Folie B) ).

Pretty sure I've got a small/flat rack mount one, which might be big enough, prolly $100. Will have to check its specs though. I was going to use it for my phone, but I've got a bigger one now.

Edited by Allanw

Wow cheers dude. I may take you up on that. Going to try a line filter thing that the sale person said will fix me or they will eat their hat.

Ill pm you and let u know before you come up if I need it. Appreciate the offer.

Feedback is this is likely caused by old crap wiring.