Sign in to follow this  
Vagicle

Smack torquing E30

Ok so I’ve been lurking on this forum for ages whilst quietly working away on my car in the background.

I didn’t plan on this becoming a project, I just wanted to tidy it up a bit, but then the buying started; some decent oil to help with the ticking, then a remote central locking kit, and then a few other bits to keep her running smoothly. Suddenly it got serious and I was looking at new springs and shocks to try to sort out that wafty suspension.

Next thing I knew I had larger front struts, King super-low springs, KYB Shocks and all new bushes waiting to go in.

I suspected I was in trouble. Then I took her off the road to perform the surgery, and it was obvious that the bug had bitten me again. Damn, I’m quite susceptible to the old modifying bug…

post-6588-1334660043.jpg

Out with the old

post-6588-1334660092.jpg

Rear springs

post-6588-1334660122.jpg

Fronts

post-6588-1334660149.jpg

The back all fitted up. I just noticed that paint blemish. Grrr

After I’d sorted the suspension I focused on the shoes. The old bottle caps are pretty sexy and bring all the girls flocking to my ride when I pull up [or not, as the case may be] but I wanted something a little bigger. I trawled TradeMe for ages until a set of 16-inch Alpina's with good Yokohama rubber came up for the right price. They didn’t come with centre caps but I think it’s got that touring car look without them.

post-6588-1334660306.jpg

post-6588-1334660312.jpg

Sorry for the carpark iphone photos

I’ve been pretty happy with how she sits [could always do with moar low] and the wheels look good, but the outside is still in need of some work to bring it up to standard.

Getting rid of the chrome trim is in my opinion one of the best mods to the exterior of the car.

post-6588-1334660523.jpg

All the essential tools to make your chrome go away

post-6588-1334660529.jpg

The chrome wasnt looking very good. But after I keyed it with the 3M pads it looked better. Almost made me want to keep it like that. Almost.

post-6588-1334660536.jpg

post-6588-1334660546.jpg

All primered up

post-6588-1334660559.jpg

Streamlined for- oh wait, theres no window there..

So happy with how it’s turned out, and apart from being a bit fiddly and cumbersome to get the trim back on, an easy job.

So that just leaves… the entire rest of the car.

Plans for the Exterior – Picked up an iS front lip today and would really like some spot light blanks. That should sort out the front. Then for the back I have an Mtech 1 spoiler on there at the moment, but I also have an Mtech 2 in the shed which I’m considering swapping to. Also have a new rear bumper as the last owner wasn’t very careful, or didn’t have the mad reversing skills that I possess [not!]

Speaking of bumpers, front and back are going to get a coat of blue, as well as the wing mirrors. So that pretty much takes care of plans for the outside.

For the inside its definitely in need of some new seats as these look like I blew straight threw my jeans and right into the seat fabric. Also as much as this retro steering wheel is period, I feel like something a bit sportier will bring out the best in the interior. Maybe a few other little changes but these can wait.

So now for the throbbing heart of the beast. I’m open to suggestions for the best heart-transplant for an E30. I’ve read countless build threads from most of the E30 sites and am still undecided. Budget is a huge consideration; I don’t want to be saving for months just for a small part that brings me one step out of a thousand closer to the goal. I want bang for my buck. And I want torque. 200 ponies would be nice too. What’s the general consensus on M50/2 Vs M20 Stroker? Does anyone want to scare a passenger and steer me down the right path?

Some more pics, before and after shadowline:

post-6588-1334716379.jpg

post-6588-1334716388.jpg

Schexy no?

post-6588-1334716397.jpg

post-6588-1334716406.jpg

Looking at those^ I think my wing mirrors might need a touch of blue...

Looking good. A touch of satin black would blend in better on those wing mirrors.

Nice looking ride

I like the Alpinas, I like the shadow chrome, and I prefer the M Tech 1 rear spoiler - more subtle than Tech 2.

As for the engine upgrade, I think there was a complete upgrade package each for M20 stroker and M50 listed on here recently.

Depends how much you want to spend, really.

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....showtopic=39798

Edited by skidz

Looking nice mate..shadowline def the way to go

Buy Ashkans 2.8

Thanks guys, I have a bit of black left, might give the wing mirrors a go this weekend...

Still looking into engines, pretty indecisive at the moment