Sign in to follow this  
bmwnev

Vacuum/brakes fault

My E46 has just developed a vacuum/brake fault. I have just had the vacuum pump replaced with a reconditioned unit as the old one had a bad oil leak and now I have little or no vacuum assisting the brakes! If I drive around town it is dangerous (brakes work but really have to stand on the pedal), but on the open road they are fine if you don't use the brakes much! I suspect the reco'd vacuum pump may be the problem, but any thoughts as to what else may be the problem before I take it back to the garage for further diagnosis? Any help would be appreciated.

I suggest you take it back immediately and get it sorted before you have an accident

Have done thank you. A bit disappointed, but it is being sorted. You are quite right though, it was an accident waiting to happen. You guys had any problems like this? The pump came from a reputable Akl BMW parts supplier.....they are replacing it, don't know if they'll help with the costs to get it done though!

do they offer a warrenty on thier parts, or is it limited to the part itself?

You guys had any problems like this? .

We only use new to replace these when they fail. The vacuum fitting for the hose gets loose in the housing and leaks. If the fitting is OK and not loose in the housing you can fit new seals. Can you PM me the details of who supplied the reco one & how much ?

Edited by *Glenn*

do they offer a warrenty on thier parts, or is it limited to the part itself?

I know they offer a warranty on the part itself, and have yet to see what else they can do for the overall process. I have asked but not yet had a reply! Will post a response when I hear more.

I know they offer a warranty on the part itself, and have yet to see what else they can do for the overall process. I have asked but not yet had a reply! Will post a response when I hear more.

New pump has arrived, been tested and now fitted. Problems solved.

I've been offered a discount on future purchases which is not a great help and a bit disappointing given my first purchase! You live and learn....