Sign in to follow this  
mdodd

E36 rack in an E30 PS problem

Hi guys,

I have installed an E36 into my E30 touring about a month or so ago, this has been running great and I am enjoying the quicker ratio apart from the following strange issue:

When coming into a corner reasonably quick, as the load comes onto the outside front wheel i get a strange feel (almost like a very light vibration/shudder) through the wheel and the power steering appears to cut out (only very briefly, depending on how much the wheel loads up it seems), it feels as if the bypass valve in the powersteering system is opening (as would happen when you turn the wheel to the extremeties of the lock). So far this has only seemed to happen on left hand bends, I'm not sure whether this is coincidence or not.

Has anyone else had this problem or anyone have any suggestions on where to start?

Many thanks in advance - Mike

Exhaust or something isnt rubbing on the steering link?

Exhaust or something isnt rubbing on the steering link?

I guess it could potentially be - which would make sense why it only happens on left hand bends - as the car loads up on that corner the mounts could be flexing causing the engine to shift and the exhaust to bind on the link. I will have a look after work tonight and try to see if there's any evidence of this/or if it's feasible.

Thanks

Just curious and a little off topic but i picked up a e36 rack the other day and wanting to know how you hooked up the lines to your rack? Did you use the e30 ones and bend to fit?