Sign in to follow this  
k.gen04

e34 No Spark

Mmkay, have an 88 e34 535 (m30 motor), manual tranny. I got it not running, but the guy who had it before me brought it home and it was misfiring, then simply didn't start the next morning.

Issue with it is no spark from the coil.

Original ECU was a 153, replaced it with a 179 because I suspected the ignition coil driver was dodgy as the coil wasn't getting 12v.

Coil tested, was 9kohm primary/secondary. Replaced, new one measures 5.63kohm primary/secondary, 0.01ohm positive/negative. Gives a spark when shorting negative to ground and releasing. Has ~ 11.63v across it when ignition on.

CPS tested, 512 ohms at pins 47 & 48 of the DME plug, CPS unplugged and 4.63v at pin 1. Replaced it anyway, no dice.

No resistance between the ignition wire and it's shield with the DME plugged in and unplugged.

Connecting a multimeter from the ignition coil wire to 12v gets 12v even when ignition is on. Is this correct?

Hit me up if clarification is needed, just blabbered out everything I've done as far as I can remember. ANY help is appreciated, I've given myself a month before I force myself to part her out to pay for another car

Edited by Owen

check the front crank sensor and its mounting arm (sometimes they come loose), or the front damper.

remove the dizzy cap check the cap and rotor etc for excessive wear , moisture , broken contacts etc,

Rotor and cap are stuffed, but I'm leaving that till I get a spark out of the coil because of the cost of the bloody things.

Front damper rotates, CPS mount is solid. Reminds me I need to check the clearance, will do that tomorrow morning

im not 100% on what exactly is going wrong but if its an issue of no power to the coil try running a wire straight from the battery to the coil +

should at least get it going to diagnose the problem

but coil issues seem to be going or not

if the previous owner has a misfire issue it could liekly be a sensor issue

im not 100% on what exactly is going wrong but if its an issue of no power to the coil try running a wire straight from the battery to the coil +

should at least get it going to diagnose the problem

but coil issues seem to be going or not

if the previous owner has a misfire issue it could liekly be a sensor issue

Coil is going, it has 12v across it, it's just not sparking :(

Edited by Owen

Does fuel pump run while cranking? If no spark, and fuel pump not running then I would suggest a crank sensor issue.

Dead on. Quite a while ago I went and checked the CPS gap, it was quite tight but I thought f**k it, closer is better than a big gap. Went back just now to check and adjust the gap, adjusted to 1mm and got spark O_O. She's now running, albeit missing on several cylinders. Teach me for not doing the simple things first ahaha.

Now time to clean the plugs and I should be away laughing :D

Dead on. Quite a while ago I went and checked the CPS gap, it was quite tight but I thought f**k it, closer is better than a big gap. Went back just now to check and adjust the gap, adjusted to 1mm and got spark O_O. She's now running, albeit missing on several cylinders. Teach me for not doing the simple things first ahaha.

Now time to clean the plugs and I should be away laughing :D

I kept telling him to check the simple/obvious stuff first :P (We're IRL Friends :P )

Bout time we got Moby running :P (Moby, the great white whale whom Killed my Mazda 626 V6's tranny towing the car home LOL)