Sign in to follow this  
Gus

Electric Windows to manual

only one electric window works of mine......its stupid and pissing me off.....any ideas on converting them all across to manual?

E30's definitely came out with manual windows, havn't seen many here though.

Is it your motor or the switch that is faulty?

fairly sure its the motors....need to get in there and have a little play around, but im really not keen on replacing 3 window regulators...

Right, went and checked the window motors from Ryan's old car and found they were frozen. Have pulled one out and eventually managed to strip it and found the cause of the siezure. It is quite difficult to remove the plastic housing for the brushes..... :banghead: have to be quite inventive here.... once this is out of the way the armature is almost free to remove but is held in by the bush which will have frozen to it. Will describe how to free it further on...

Check the photo.... the yellow arrow points to the bronze bush that siezed to the shaft of the motor armature. This is due to the drain hole that is supposed to let the water out being higher than the bush so this area fills up with moisture.

The pink arrow points to the retaining washer that holds the bush in the bottom of the motor casing in the position of the red arrow. Getting this retaining washer out intact is a fiddly job as it is a push-in system not designed to release backwards. I drilled 4 very small holes on the base (you can see 2 of them onside the casing) and used a pin punch to slightly deform it bit by bit until it popped out. Until you get this to free you won't get the armature out. Don't break it as I doubt if you would find a replacement one!!!

Once you have the armature out you can then gradually ease the frozen bush off the armature, sand the bearing surface with a fine waterpaper and the bush will now spin freely.

Have reassembled the motor onto the window mechanism and it is now better than a bought one... :thumb:

If you don't want to tackle this yourself, remove the motor from the mechanism (2 torx screws release it) and mail them to me. I think I have a good chance of repairing them +90%?

If you remove the plastic cap on the door card you can use an allen key to raise and lower the windows. If you are lucky your BMW toolkit may have one in it but most are missing...

looks like fun

more little things i need to fix :banghead:

except one is stuck down! a little pressed for time at the mo, but this will give it a go and give you a yell if i get stuck!