Sign in to follow this  
topless

Very lowering E30

Anybody out there know what rear shocks I can use in the rear of a pre-F/L which I have sacked? Is exactly 100mm lower than a standard E30 I have. Living in the backwaters doesn't help sourcing non-standard bits. :mellow:

Check pic....

konis or bilsteins...usually round $150 mark each for rears, $300-$350 for front

gimme ya email, ill forward on the emails i got when i was looking for shocks

www.georgestock.co.nz

for konis

Edited by Gus

Where from? Any idea on part numbers?

Local plonkers just look at me with blank stare....... :blink:

I've got a pair of rear Shocks & spring for sale if you are keen.

They have only 1mths use on them (over Xmas, had to get the car on the road in a hurry).

They are Koni adjustables, special order SP1 models (not the run of the mill sports), and the springs are Kings Super lows (KBRL-14), they aren't that low, I measured 330mm from the wheel centre to the arch on my '85 E30, there was an easy legal 100mm undernieth.

$350 for the lot, still in boxes even.

I measured 330mm from the wheel centre to the arch on my '85 E30

The '86 E30 I have has only 280mm from wheel centre to arch with the springs I have in it. That is the problem.. shock is too long and the spring can come away from the seat. I want to keep the car this low. If the shocks are about 50mm shorter than stock they will probably work, but I don't really need the springs.

My '87 E30 on King springs has 300mm to wheel arch and the shocks are 30mm shorter than stock and just manage to keep the springs captive, so I'm guessing that I would need shocks about 50mm shorter..??

I want to keep the car this low. If the shocks are about 50mm shorter than stock they will probably work, but I don't really need the springs.

So buy the package deal there, put your springs in, and sell the kings on Trademe

Simple solution and your still getting a primo deal (as Glenn said - they arent your average Sports....)

The '86 E30 I have has only 280mm from wheel centre to arch with the springs I have in it. That is the problem.. shock is too long and the spring can come away from the seat. I want to keep the car this low. If the shocks are about 50mm shorter than stock they will probably work, but I don't really need the springs.

My '87 E30 on King springs has 300mm to wheel arch and the shocks are 30mm shorter than stock and just manage to keep the springs captive, so I'm guessing that I would need shocks about 50mm shorter..??

They are definitley shorter than stock, I'll compare them for you tonight.

You must be measuring from a different location than me, 280mm is about 20mm off the bumpstops!! which is next to useless!!

So buy the package deal there, put your springs in, and sell the kings on Trademe

Happy to buy the shocks as long as they do the job, length being important here. If the springs have to come with so be it.. just would be easier (and probably cheaper)to mail shocks without the springs.

You must be measuring from a different location than me, 280mm is about 20mm off the bumpstops!! which is next to useless!!

Not sure of gap between bumpstops from memory but it is definitely a bit bigger than 20mm. There is 105mm clearance under the fuel tank. Am busy reprofiling the rear suspension(and front later) to suit the ride height.

Car is a project so not too worried at this stage. Once I get it on the road with proper shocks will see how it handles, but seemed ok with the long ones and the radical camber back and front. It is definitely higher than a racecar E30 we built some years ago and that handled pretty well... but shook the sh*t out of you though :drugs:

Measured them:

OE Sachs: 395mm closed 610mm open

Koni SP1: 395mm closed 560mm open

Roughly 50mm shorter.

That is measured from the top of the pin to the centre of the bottom eye.

They also come with the RSM's also, so you just bolt them in!!

ps. you can put the springs in the monster-truck E30 in the first pick.