Sign in to follow this  
euroriffic

E36 Broken ignition barrel

So I was at the wreckers today and went to leave so turned the key and it stopped in 'on' then just started spinning then tried to go back and it jammed up, still in on. Managed to jiggle it and get it to start but couldn't get it to do anything else so had to take the electrical barrel off the end and now using a screwdriver to start/stop. Thank Christ for ews! And the pin code function on obc as I live round the road from black power and they already have 3 e36s and an e34 and I know they've come to check mine out before! And stole two of

My valve caps <_<

Anyone else have this happen? Willie the Wreaker said it was a common thing and could get a replacement part but BMW nolonger make it so i guess it's repinning another lock and hope it doesn't happen again

Also had this problem. You can drill a hole and insert a grub screw to stop it from spinning, a bit hard to explain how to do it though.

Ohh yea? May do some research into that. Cheers

Common problem, need to get the key into acc position & insert a pin into the slot on the barrel face to release the tab & pull the barrell out.

News to me they are NLA. They are ordered ex BMW AG from the VIN of the car.

I just replaced one at work a few months back.

I suggest you remove it BEFORE it fails completely - they are then a real B%#@H to remove - been there done that too

So to remove the barrel I need to get it into acc? That may be a problem as it seems to have jammed in on. Will see how I get on with it in the weekend

Where the hell in Dunedin do YOU live?

Sounds like Corstorphine lol

Haha close, sorta... Up pine hill. They live on the corner where I turn down to get to my St. Where the shooting was afew months back. Our street seems pretty good tho, mostly oldies. Seems stupid to put them and the mungies a block away from each other. Good ole housing nz for ya

haha. well I live on Every St, where the David Bain shootings happened...

Dunedin hard.

Edited by antil33t

haha. well I live on Every St, where the David Bain shootings happened...

Dunedin hard.

Haha, good old bainsey...

So I ordered a new barrel today...260 odd dollars. Mother of god! :blink:

Yup, thats it. Buggered without one though. Did you get the old one out?

Yes to key on acc, this position is needed before the release tab in the barrel is able to be depressed -with a pin inserted down into the face slot.

A tip cleaner or similar high tensile pin is ideal for this.

Acc position is common for this - means that the barrel cannot be removed without the key - stops unauthorised access, well that's the idea.

If you cannot get the key onto acc, it is a bitch of a procedure, I have had a few that I have had to drill/die grind the barrel out as they have either just spun or jammed on ign position.

If you haven't yet got it out, once you receive the replacement - you will see how it works.

Yup, thats it. Buggered without one though. Did you get the old one out?

Yes to key on acc, this position is needed before the release tab in the barrel is able to be depressed -with a pin inserted down into the face slot.

A tip cleaner or similar high tensile pin is ideal for this.

Acc position is common for this - means that the barrel cannot be removed without the key - stops unauthorised access, well that's the idea.

If you cannot get the key onto acc, it is a bitch of a procedure, I have had a few that I have had to drill/die grind the barrel out as they have either just spun or jammed on ign position.

If you haven't yet got it out, once you receive the replacement - you will see how it works.

After you said about the screw trick I googled it and found a vid on you tube showing how to Remove it and do the screw trick to stop future spinning. But on that he had it in the on position but it was a lhd car so maybe that's why I couldn't get it to work. BMW said they have the proper tool to do it so if i cant get it done myself I'm hoping they can easily enough

Ok so I got my new ignition barrel and spare key from BMW yesterday so can attempt to replace the barrel.

But my main concern is the lack of security measures that were taken. I went in to price them up but the parts guy wasn't there so left a message with the receptionist with rego numbers of the cars for the parts and he rang me back about them with a price. So I ordered them under my first name and was told to wait 10days. Did that and went in and asked for them, said my name and "yes, they are here. That's $430 dollars" paid, took them and left.

No "can we see your I.d and proof that you own the cars" that has me worried. Anyone else had the same experience from the dealer?

Ok so I got my new ignition barrel and spare key from BMW yesterday so can attempt to replace the barrel.

But my main concern is the lack of security measures that were taken. I went in to price them up but the parts guy wasn't there so left a message with the receptionist with rego numbers of the cars for the parts and he rang me back about them with a price. So I ordered them under my first name and was told to wait 10days. Did that and went in and asked for them, said my name and "yes, they are here. That's $430 dollars" paid, took them and left.

No "can we see your I.d and proof that you own the cars" that has me worried. Anyone else had the same experience from the dealer?

I would have thought they would want proof of ownership but in saying that, all that I have ever got have been through work so under a business

Only thing I could think off is that they Checked the Regos to make sure they were in my name but I only gave them my first name so just hoping it was me haha