Sign in to follow this  
dx_roll

Problems with my new car

Okay so I'm new to this (both owning a bmw and using a forum)

Having a bit of trouble with my car, when i bought it was running fine but over the last week or so it starts, I drive it maybe 1 or 2km and it cuts out, I can start it again but its almost like its surging (excuse my explaination, i am a girl). At 1 point it wouldn't even start and i put it down to the key as the casing was broken. So i replaced the battery, glued it all back together and it went ok the day I did that. But today same thing happened. I managed to drive it home but am concerned as to what it is. Would it be something to do with the key and the immobilser still? or is it a more serious problem?

your help would be greatly appreciated. Its a 2000 318i E46

Okay so I'm new to this (both owning a bmw and using a forum)

Having a bit of trouble with my car, when i bought it was running fine but over the last week or so it starts, I drive it maybe 1 or 2km and it cuts out, I can start it again but its almost like its surging (excuse my explaination, i am a girl). At 1 point it wouldn't even start and i put it down to the key as the casing was broken. So i replaced the battery, glued it all back together and it went ok the day I did that. But today same thing happened. I managed to drive it home but am concerned as to what it is. Would it be something to do with the key and the immobilser still? or is it a more serious problem?

your help would be greatly appreciated. Its a 2000 318i E46

probably need a bit more of an explanation,does it just cut out dead like a light switch turns off or is it hesitating ,stalling,going rough and then dieing.

I take it the temp gauge is normal and youve checked oil and water and gas are all ok.

does it start normally straight after its stopped or does it takes a lot of goes to get it running,does the battery struggle to start it or does it turn over fine.

maybe check the battery leads are on tight ?

probably need a bit more of an explanation,does it just cut out dead like a light switch turns off or is it hesitating ,stalling,going rough and then dieing.

I take it the temp gauge is normal and youve checked oil and water and gas are all ok.

does it start normally straight after its stopped or does it takes a lot of goes to get it running,does the battery struggle to start it or does it turn over fine.

maybe check the battery leads are on tight ?

Yep all gauges are normal, oil water and gas are all fine. it takes a couple goes to get it running after it cuts out. when it cuts out it hesitates, stalls is really rough then eventually just cuts out. and i can smell petrol fumes VERY strongly. The battery starts it fine replaced that when i bought it, all leads are tight.

Hey, welcome to the forum. Sucks your new cars broke already.

Had a friend with a wee corolla with a similar problem and it was a blocked fuel filter. When was it last replaced and do you let the tank go real low before refilling? If so could of sucked some crap into the linesmfrom the bottom of the tank