Sign in to follow this  
slowe30

e36 328i auto tranny

just replaced an engine in my e36 328i due to the head cracking. got it all running and started on my first test drive, half way round the block lost all drive through the auto tranny and had to tow home (was only 500metres or so and kept engine idleing to keep fluid flowing in the box).

now i dont know enough about autos yet to diagnose it so is there anything i should take a look at?

the torque converter was slightly disrupted on removal (moved foward about 2cm) but was quickly and smoothly pushed back into place.

any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks

Had a similar problem with my e30. I didnt have the pump drive key lined up right when putting the box back on and broke it about 500m down the road aswell. Had to get a replacement pump

^^ pump drive prob mis-aligned or not correctly engauged and smashed to pieces.

Had a similar problem with my e30. I didnt have the pump drive key lined up right when putting the box back on and broke it about 500m down the road aswell. Had to get a replacement pump

cheers, been decided that were getting a new gearbox, found a low ks one quite cheap. will confirm on removal first tho

If your trNny was still a good runner I'd try find a damaged box that still has a good pump or even just the drive gear. Mine was right on the front on the box so easy to pull out. Even got the replacement one rebuilt with new seals for like 100 bucks. Don't know what e36 boxes are like tho...