Sign in to follow this  
m2geek

Xenon Upgrade - YAY

On a kinda related topic, what's the deal with hids and headlight washers? My e39 has oem factory xenons but no washers? retrofitting the hid Hellas on e36 didn't require washers either?

Had those Philips blue halogen bulbs in my e36 and they were worse than sh*t for output. Looked nice thought.

I ignored the check control warnings on my old e36 too, until one day I was rolling down the motorway as it was getting dark, in rush hour traffic and found I had no brake lights at all. Sorted that out and never ignored check control since.

If you get a lot of rear light warnings, check the boot wiring harness. If you haven't already I would bet on broken wires in there.

Edited by KwS

On a kinda related topic, what's the deal with hids and headlight washers? My e39 has oem factory xenons but no washers? retrofitting the hid Hellas on e36 didn't require washers either?

Had those Philips blue halogen bulbs in my e36 and they were worse than sh*t for output. Looked nice thought.

I ignored the check control warnings on my old e36 too, until one day I was rolling down the motorway as it was getting dark, in rush hour traffic and found I had no brake lights at all. Sorted that out and never ignored check control since.

If you get a lot of rear light warnings, check the boot wiring harness. If you haven't already I would bet on broken wires in there.

I have a deal-installed aftermarket high-stop - which is spliced into my right tail lights and IMO is rather micky-mouse, so that is likely the reason I get brake-light warnings. My left rear light has what looks like calcium build up on the contacts which is likely causing my Tail light warning lol. As for the warning RE Low beam - whoknows, it did it with OE, Non OE, and now the dreaded X-lights (haha)

I once blew a fuse fiddling with the rear lights trying to stop the damn warning, so I haven't really bothered since.

Well took the car for its WOF this morning.

Passed - Clear and without warnings, no mention about the Xenon.. The guy said the beamform was spot on and level was fine, I asked the specifically to check for that.

Yay me :)

Wouldn't take WOF as any kinda guidance on whether or not it is correct, took a Falcon for a COF (comercial WOF) at VTNZ and they asked if it was front or rear wheel drive after being under the car!

Wouldn't take WOF as any kinda guidance on whether or not it is correct, took a Falcon for a COF (comercial WOF) at VTNZ and they asked if it was front or rear wheel drive after being under the car!

:blink: LOL...

I would have said its propelled by pixies or hopes n dreams...

Woot - my LED park lights arrived, just put em in :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

^^^^ SOOO much nicer than incandescent bulbs!

Better update your sig.

Be aware that the LED may strobe when the LCM checks the bulbs. My LEDs on the E39 angel eyes did (I've fitted a relay for the moment to diconnect them from the circuit when not switched on)

Tail and brake lights can trigger warnings if they are old too - the filiments become high resistance and trigger the warnings - justhad it on the E39.

Better update your sig.

Be aware that the LED may strobe when the LCM checks the bulbs. My LEDs on the E39 angel eyes did (I've fitted a relay for the moment to diconnect them from the circuit when not switched on)

Tail and brake lights can trigger warnings if they are old too - the filiments become high resistance and trigger the warnings - justhad it on the E39.

Will make new sig when the LED Fog lights arrive heh..

Took to my tail lights with CRC contact cleaner - so far, no difference :( I blame the funky wiring job on the high-stop.

LTSA Ruling

Clearly states just changing the bulb to HID is illegal

Insurance assessor may spot these if you are ever in a crash and refuse claim, remember that means they will not pay for the fence / powerpole / Ferrari that you may hit !!!

LTSA Ruling

Insurance assessor may spot these if you are ever in a crash and refuse claim, remember that means they will not pay for the fence / powerpole / Ferrari that you may hit !!!

^^^^ Seen it, Read it, Discussed it, Solving it with new lenses.

LTSA Ruling

Have had my old car written off and insurance assessor found it to be irrelevant with the aftermarket HID kit but hey that was just my case.

Edited by arcanix