Sign in to follow this  
drewbags

Bump nek minnit Car shuts down

Hey guys,

excuse the topic title, in a rather festive mood today haha

this morning i hit a little pothole in my FL e30 coupe 320i and it shut the whole car down, like motor completely stopped, has done it to me once before as well

Not purposely aiming for pot holes and not overly big thuds when i do, but yeah found it very very strange?

Anyone had this or know what it is?

Much appreciated

Drew

Hey guys,

this morning i hit a little pothole in my FL e30 coupe 320i and it shut the whole car down, like motor completely stopped, has done it to me once before as well

Not purposely aiming for pot holes and not overly big thuds when i do, but yeah found it very very strange?

Much appreciated

Drew

Facelift E30's have a connector under the intake manifold which can have issues - clean it out with a good contact cleaner and sheild.

Dad's E30 would misfire just once very rarely, but after cleaning that plug, it's never done it again - that was probably 8 or 10 years ago. The plug in a largish (15 to 20mm???) round lpig, not entirely dissimilar to the large round firewall mounted one. Worth a try if nothing else.

Hey guys,

Much appreciated

Drew

check the relays havent popped out, LHS strut tower under black cover

especially white relay

If your car shuts off a minute after hitting a bump I would say the two are unrelated.

If your car shuts off a minute after hitting a bump I would say the two are unrelated.

A minute after might be the amount of time it takes for the engine to draw the residual fuel from the system?