Sign in to follow this  
kevinator9

E30 45mm vs 51mm Strut/Shock

Hi Guys,

Trying to suss some front shocks but don't have $500+ for a brand new set :(

Wondering if the following is going to work out on my car.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-...n-479957218.htm

I know the 1984-85 318i's had 45mm struts and these will be 51mm but if I take out the spring that these come with and pop in mine and completely swap them over is that going to work out?

Thanks,

Andrew

Yup, struts are interchangeable, as are springs, it's just shocks that are specific to the strut size.

As long as the shock is long enough to suit your springs though, since they are shortened..

Edited by huff3r

Thanks a bunch I thought that was the case.

Yes I will have to check, although my springs are shorter than factory too so hopefully the shock length is better for them than stock anyway. If not I will just use the springs included.

Thanks a bunch I thought that was the case.

Yes I will have to check, although my springs are shorter than factory too so hopefully the shock length is better for them than stock anyway. If not I will just use the springs included.

I would start spraying those tie rod nuts with crc now, they can be a real b&$%@

I would start spraying those tie rod nuts with crc now, they can be a real b&$%@

Use a balljoint splitter on them, and then hold the jack against the bottom of them to put pressure on so they wont torn as you undo the nut. Easy as.

Use a balljoint splitter on them, and then hold the jack against the bottom of them to put pressure on so they wont torn as you undo the nut. Easy as.

I got a splitter but thought i would rip the boot

Those trademe struts will be 45's, 318's are all 45 unless they've been changed, ask the race series boys.

I got a splitter but thought i would rip the boot

Yeah just gotta be very careful how you do it, I ripped one but have since replaced that tie-rod anyway so no issues.

Those trademe struts will be 45's, 318's are all 45 unless they've been changed, ask the race series boys.

Yup... & some 320's

Oh thanks guys! I was of the information that only '84 and '85 318i's were 45mm and the rest 51mm. Either case they are gonna do the job!

I will start spraying those nuts!