Sign in to follow this  
ReubendV

635csi problems

Hey.

i have a 1987 635csi e24, it hadnt been started in about a year and the fuel that is in it is about 2.5 years old. it did start this afternoon but it wont idle, as soon as you take your foot off the accelerator it chugs for a few seconds dying and starting again and then dies. any help appreciated :)

Drain tank for a start and out some fresh gas in, you dont want to be sucking crap/water/etc into the fuel pump and injectors

change oil as well if its been sitting with dirty oil thats bad news.

i would change fuel filter as well, put in fresh gas in and check injectors and spark plugs.

Edited by Docile

check the idle control valve is rotating freely inside,these gum up with alittle corrosion/oil etc

thanks guys, i cleaned out the idol control valve and it starts first time now and can idle. but its idling at about 600rpm which i think is abit low (i think it should be idleing around 900rpm?). i looked in the service manual and i couldnt find how to adjust the idle is it possible on this car.

also this may sound dumb but why is it bad to use that old oil? cheers

i wouldnt try to adjust the idle until you've replaced everything including oil, oil filter, fuel filter plugs and put fresh fuel in it

ok then will sort that out this week. thanks

thanks guys, i cleaned out the idol control valve and it starts first time now and can idle. but its idling at about 600rpm which i think is abit low (i think it should be idleing around 900rpm?). i looked in the service manual and i couldnt find how to adjust the idle is it possible on this car.

also this may sound dumb but why is it bad to use that old oil? cheers

old oil in the car would have turned to gunk stored up for that long and could clog up oil pump and galleys inside the engine.. usually when storing cars for long a long period of time you woul oil change first then store it.

oh ok then, thanks. will be changing the oil this week what would be the best oil to run in it?

oh ok then, thanks. will be changing the oil this week what would be the best oil to run in it?

just any old clean stuff to start with,then change it again when you are starting to use it more.If its road/winter use get the oil thats recomended for the temps where you live,the thinner the better for winter time

what area are you in .

can help if need be

have parts and a 635csi parts car

papakura

what area are you in .

can help if need be

have parts and a 635csi parts car

papakura

Thanks but i am in wellington.

would you by any chance have a spare power steer pump though?

i would just go for a decent 15w40 should set you back about $35-$45

Do the filter and i would also run an engine oil flush through it to get rid of all the gunk that has dried on

Thanks but i am in wellington.

would you by any chance have a spare power steer pump though?

yes have complete 635csi for wrecking