Sign in to follow this  
Docile

thermostat housing

ok getting tired of this crap.

first one i replaced was all brittle.

second one i posted before how the thermostat housing on my m50 blew up while i was driving last year = steam and broken fan belt and FAN!!!... i went BM workshop to buy a oem one (plastic) installed it.. went to ray and bought the fan and everything was fine. but then just popped my hood this morning and saw a long hairline crack on top of the housing FFS and dried up coolant on top of it!!....

this is my 3rd time replacing that part. would it be recommended to buy a aluminium one? <_<

Edited by Docile

They tend to last quite awhile, maybe you're doing something wrong.

ok getting tired of this crap.

first one i replaced was all brittle.

second one i posted before how the thermostat housing on my m50 blew up while i was driving last year = steam and broken fan belt and FAN!!!... i went BM workshop to buy a oem one (plastic) installed it.. went to ray and bought the fan and everything was fine. but then just popped my hood this morning and saw a long hairline crack on top of the housing FFS and dried up coolant on top of it!!....

this is my 3rd time replacing that part. would it be recommended to buy a aluminium one? <_<

Yeah man, fractured two plastic ones rebuilding my cooling system before I lucked out and found an alloy one at Pick a part. Have seen new ones advertised on Tardme for about the same as a used one. Metal = good :)

They tend to last quite awhile, maybe you're doing something wrong.

how can someone do wrong with putting it on? unless hes a gorilla and tightens the bolts up so hard it cracks the plastic :/

the hairline crack is nowhere near the nuts (if they were too tight and was the cause they would presumably start from there). the crack is around the middle of the thermostat itself (the thick part). 50/50 mix of coolant and distilled water i use. cooling system not being over filled as well.

how can someone do wrong with putting it on? unless hes a gorilla and tightens the bolts up so hard it cracks the plastic :/

the hairline crack is nowhere near the nuts (if they were too tight and was the cause they would presumably start from there). the crack is around the middle of the thermostat itself (the thick part). 50/50 mix of coolant and distilled water i use. cooling system not being over filled as well.

re-using an old "o" ring could possibly cause it,

change it to alloy housing for what it's worth, more reliable

re-using an old "o" ring could possibly cause it,

change it to alloy housing for what it's worth, more reliable

cheers, yeah im looking for one now. when it blew up last year i replaced everything new related to it. o rings, thermostat and hose clamps.