Sign in to follow this  
Gus

Bad Fuel

how likely is getting bad fuel?

putting $50 in last nite at Gul...c.37L. on my little drive (bout half hour or so) had bad engine probs.....felt exactly like when my CAS on my old car was gone....just a loss of power and stuttering before continuing....any gear and pretty much any RPM (not that i have a tacho yet)

this morning changed the temp sensor plugs, and cleaned my CAS went for a drive...noticed straight away it was still doing it...carried on my errand and then went and put about $35 of the new BP 98......and since then hasnt done it. strange coincidence or possibly a bad batch of fuel? anyone else had similiar experience?

I've used bad patch of petrol before, it was causing funny takeoffs like nearly stalling an automatic aint good, was like hte fuel just wasnt getting in fast enuff. Granted it was 91 to which I've changed from now but yeah really felt like it wasnt churning to well with it in there. Anyway filled it up the next day and it was fine.

Bad fuel is more common than you would believe.. (I do a lot of work for a very large oil company) call the brand and inform them it may be an indication of a bigger problem ie leaking tank in an area with high water table. Oil companies take this very seriously.

cheers Matt

any chance of getting a refund? its really off and on for me.....it could easily be my car so i dont want to go round complaining, but im running out of options that it could be, and coincidentally it was fine right up till i filled up

I been going to bp for 98 lately, and my car has been starting kinda funky... It had a rumbly idle for a min or two this morning..very weird.

yeah i've also had this problem with my 323i M-sport, found that even 96 unleaded is not doing the trick so i ran an injection cleaner with bp's 98 octane and from there on out ran strictly 98 and have not had the problem since, My car used to stall in drive for no reason but yep 98 has fixed my problems

Guest Andrew

yeah i've also had this problem with my 323i M-sport, found that even 96 unleaded is not doing the trick so i ran an injection cleaner with bp's 98 octane and from there on out ran strictly 98 and have not had the problem since, My car used to stall in drive for no reason but yep 98 has fixed my problems

there is no damn difference between the two - it wouldn't affect the running of your motor. It would be sweet on 91.

I agree with Andy on this

I've run mine on 91, 96, 98, and mixtures in between and haven't noticed a bloody difference, which sadly I wish I could've.

I've actually noticed a difference ...

Before when i use 96 and i couldn't make it up a certain hill in 4th at 55km ... now with 98 i can get up the same hill in 4th at 55km .....

And it seems a little happier in 5th gear on the motorway also ... and a bit more responsive in the rpms of 2.3-4 ....

Which is 91 and 96 at Caltex? Since they are labelled Premium and Regular(gas station noob)

I usually run the BMW on Regular, but yesterday I tryed Premium, and well. I'm not going to use it again.

On regular it would start in a second, on premium takes a few seconds of ticking it over, then it shakes a bit, idles like a whore.

Then when turning it off it shakes even more. :blink:

I can tell between 91 and 96, car just runs sh*t on 91. I've just put some of BP's new ultimate juice in the car so i'm yet to decide if that makes a difference over 96.

I can tell between 91 and 96, car just runs sh*t on 91. I've just put some of BP's new ultimate juice in the car so i'm yet to decide if that makes a difference over 96.

Same here, my car runs like a dog on 91, but I can't tell any major difference between 96 and 98.

I run on Gull 96 petrol most of the time.

Cheers

the later cars have slightly more advanced systems to adjust the timing.....my mums 7 goes on 91......us e30 scum are stuck with 96

i did use Gul 96, until the above mentioned incident.....usually go with shell....they all pretty much the same anyway

Same here, my car runs like a dog on 91, but I can't tell any major difference between 96 and 98.

I run on Gull 96 petrol most of the time.

Cheers

I have only run 96 in e30, but you can definately tell between 96 and 98 in a turbo. So if you rock a 2002.... 98 it up.

It comes back to your knock sensors in the engine. The older the engine, the more manual the systems. No point in running an old car tuned for 91 on 96. You'll just pour that money out the exhaust pipe. But if you plan to run it solely on 96 or 98, then tune it for those. i.e. My old Torana.

In the newer cars, I would expect a performance increase. My Blown Commodore pulled like a schoolboy on Shell Optimax (98) and it felt like the supercharger had been ripped off, when I was in the Outback and had to go to 91 (regular).

I only fill the beast with 96 or 98, so you won't notice a change between these to, in my experience. Dyno it is the only way to tell.