Sign in to follow this  
zeemax

E28 Gear pattern

Hi can anyone confirm the gear positions for a e28 5 speed 528i? Is it (top to bottom, left to right) R-1-3-5,2-4 or is reverse down from fifth. I cant get reverse gear and im not the owner of the car in question and have never driven it, gearbox is currently out of car.

Thanks in advance.

Hi can anyone confirm the gear positions for a e28 5 speed 528i? Is it (top to bottom, left to right) R-1-3-5,2-4 or is reverse down from fifth. I cant get reverse gear and im not the owner of the car in question and have never driven it, gearbox is currently out of car.

Thanks in advance.

it is R 1 3 5

_____2 4

it is that pattern for 98% of 5speed BMWs exception being some older M3 and M5

also, you need extra force to move the shifter that little bit more to get R. it is almost impossible to do without haveing the shifter dummy mounted on the back of the gearbox

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

Thanks andy dont suppose you know if the neutral position is between 1st and 2nd or 3rd and 4th, ive rebuilt the box with some parts from another box and the gear lever selector arm just does not seem to sit right.

my e28 528i 5 speed hangs left in N between 1 and 2

Thanks andy dont suppose you know if the neutral position is between 1st and 2nd or 3rd and 4th, ive rebuilt the box with some parts from another box and the gear lever selector arm just does not seem to sit right.

yeah neutral in between just like any other manual. if you put the little selcter coupling thing in, and then pull it out you will feel two clicks. with that bit all the way in is either 2nd or 4th (doesnt matter), then pull it out one click thats neutral (and you will notice you cant move the selctor coupling thing clockwise/anti clockwise which is what would happen if you shake the lever in the car to check your in neutral etc), and then all the way out thats 1st or 3rd

edit sorry, just reinterpreted your question. the default/idle position is between 1 and 2 when installed in the car, but it can be anywhere on that horizontal when its not installed as there is no friction of the shifter to make it upright etc

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

Thanks for the replies, you confirmed my thoughts on the pattern type.

Seems to a problem with reverse engagement, all other gears are ok. Seems the only way i can get reverse is to manually pull on the 5th/reverse selector fork with no selector rod installed. With the shifter unit on the back of the box and the selector rod installed it will just not go.

(ALthough there is no bellhousing on and there will be so slop in the rod arrangement etc)

Any ideas?