Sign in to follow this  
Gus

SI batteries

can the SI batteries still be faulty if they are putting out a healthy 3V? im having tacho/temp gauge/L/100k gauge probs...and the SI lights arent on. ideas?

circuit board looks mint. ive got 3 dashes...the only one with the working tacho is from andys old car, and doesnt fit the newer dashes. and it doesnt have an SI board in it......plus misfire is back

i hate cars

Guest Andrew

yes, check the circuit board for any leakage\corrosion!!

its fine - a near new board. Can't work out why it is not working now (is making the temp gauge not work also)

Take it out then!!

I'm not running one and the only thing that doesn't work is the econo-gauge, mainly 'cause I don't have it connected I presume??

You need to bridge the 2 terminals for the temp gauge to get it to work though.

which two terminals? tacho is new tacho time...if i can get temp gauge to work...who needs SI board? and economy gauge is homo

im having tacho/temp gauge/L/100k gauge probs...and the SI lights arent on. ideas?

......plus misfire is back

I had this problem with all the above symptoms with a 1990 F/L 320 I had about a year ago. Drove me to drink for about 3 weeks....not that I minded that!

I had changed plugs, dist cap, rotor, sensors etc and still the misfire, wobbly gauges etc kept coming and going. It finally turned out to be water in a slightly corroded plug on the engine wiring loom.

I lucked onto it one afternoon when i had just about lost it with the car. This plug was a round screw together plug on the passenger side of the motor just in the area above the starter motor. I unscrewed it and water came out and it was also a bit corroded from water.

I cleaned it with an electrical contact cleaner, put some sealing stuff on and car was like brand new. Ran without wanting to cut out, temp gauge stopped flickering all over, rev counter worked again and econ gauge worked perfectly. The only thing I dont remember is if it affected the service lights.

My wife drove the car for 3 weeks afer that and it behaved perfectly. The person who bought it from me seems to have had no problems since.

Hope this might solve yours..... :wacko:

you mean the big harness plug? mine looks fine

the tacho signal does work.....i plugged in an old tacho and it worked....however that tacho doesnt go with the dash i have. might need a new tacho. if i can bypass the SI board to get the temp gauge working that will be sweet.....dont really need SI lights or economy gauge.

it just seems strange that all the gauges worked fine in the old car, and dont in the new one. however it could be due to the car sitting with the dash plugged in for a week or so, not charging? fun and games

Not that plug, it is a small round one under the inlet manifold and mounts through a steel bracket that acts as a loom support. The bracket is attached to the bottom of the inlet manifold.

None of my current cars have it and I don't see any sign of it in my wiring diagrams so this is the best i can describe it, sorry.

From memory it is difficult to see as it is somewhere in the region of the starter but above it and under the manifold. Probably close to the oil return tube from the head to the sump.. Can't remember how many pins it had (10??) but was probably only 30-40mm diameter and stood vertically. Being vertical was the reason it filled with water as water ran down the outer black sheath and under the rubber boot on it.

Sorry I can't be more help, maybe someone else has a car with one in and can shed some more light...?? All I know is this little bast*ard caused me several weeks of heartache !!! Maybe yours doesn't have it, just that this particular 320 did and was a very late model with the latest motronic ignition etc so thought it might apply to yours......

sounds like the fuel rail connector...connects the injectors and watertemp sensors to the loom......could def be a possibility! possibly damaged in fire? will have a looksie today.