Sign in to follow this  
nath

Steering play E30

E30 318i 138,000km NZ new 1986

I've just had the control arm bushes replaced as they were shagged, the shimmy is less bad but definitely still there.

Jacked the car up tonight and there is a grand old amount of play in each front wheel when manipulating each at the 9 and 3 o'clock positions.

The tie rod end at the wheel seems fine, I cannot feel play in it. I can see the rubber rack-end boot moving as I jiggle, so the play is at that end.

• The power steering rack does not leak at all
  • The steering wheel has no discernible play in it (but clearly it should, so forget I said that)
  • I only jacked one side up at a time, that is how I found the play.
  • Each wheel jiggles independently of the other, does this suggest tie rods?

What is the test for bad rack vs bad inner rod ends? The car's handling and steering is remarkably tight for a standard E30.

Does anyone have any of what I need?

Cheers kids

Edited by nath

Take the protective boot off and see if there is visible play/lateral movement from the rack end's ball joint? Or remove the tie rod joint from the strut and move it around a lot, and feel if any play comes from the rack end joint?

Hope that helps, someone with more technical skills can come up with a more civil/proper way of checking lol. Check your subframe to control arm joint as well, mine had the most play out of all the other joints when i replaced everything

With car on the ground get someone to wriggle the wheel while you feeling each joint for movement. You should be able to feel movement in the inner rod joints through the boot by simply clasping the boot over the joint itself

Cheers guys, very implementable advice.

Thinking about the reality of it, (i'm an Engineer not a mechanic!) I guess that if there is play with only one wheel off the ground, then the rods can be expected to be bad .

Fingers crossed.

nathan

Edit:

Went in to mechanic today, apparently the steering has next to no play in it.

Totally confused, so went and got new front tyres put on and on the short drive home the shakes seem to have almost gone, theres still something there but no longer through the wheel.

I'm thinking rear tyre flat spots for that maybe. Also will take the front brakes apart and clean/ lube them up. One caliper feels like it may be a bit seized.

Rollercoaster

Edited by nath