Sign in to follow this  
deshanv

M3 at the shop for a dyno an clean up

Hi guys,

I just took the ///M the other night to get it dyno'd to see if there were any issues.

The dyno results for hp were 235whp. According to the person that did the dyno, it should be around 260-280whp

Results were not good. so booked it in to the garage.

It has been through a full inspection and has several things that will be fixed on it.

Thank god for my warranty.

List of items being replaced is:

- Mass air flow sensor (MAF) - this was the major cause in loss of power on dyno

- left and right bushes being replaced

- steering hose

- diff is being cleaned and reconditioned back to condition

- left front wheel bearing

The shitty thing is that each item falls under a separate claim so I have to pay excess x5. Oh well it would have cost me a crazy amount if I had not taken warranty on the car.

Interesting, sounds like normal wear and tear - how many km's on the car? Although you have to pay 5x excess, it's still much better than forking out for each part!

Interesting, sounds like normal wear and tear - how many km's on the car? Although you have to pay 5x excess, it's still much better than forking out for each part!

It has just under 90000km on the clock. Yes very true I rather pay the excess. Do you be any chance know what HP your bmw m3 is pushing? what year and km is on yours?

2 years ago my E36 M3 made 180kW at Torque Performance. Theres alot of opinions on dynos, and I dont want to get into it.

In a couple of months my car with all the new gear should be at Hi Velocity to see what it does, should be very interesting...

2 years ago my E36 M3 made 180kW at Torque Performance. Theres alot of opinions on dynos, and I dont want to get into it.

In a couple of months my car with all the new gear should be at Hi Velocity to see what it does, should be very interesting...

Hey bro, how are you. I took it to Hi Velocity to do. Gavin did it for me.

It has just under 90000km on the clock. Yes very true I rather pay the excess. Do you be any chance know what HP your bmw m3 is pushing? what year and km is on yours?

'04 on 78k, no idea of hp (haven't dyno'd). I'd assume some has been lost from factory, and some gained from changing the exhaust but I doubt either is very noticable. Would be interesting to see, however.

Maybe time for valve clearance check/adjust?

Hi guys,

I just took the ///M the other night to get it dyno'd to see if there were any issues.

The dyno results for hp were 235whp. According to the person that did the dyno, it should be around 260-280whp

Results were not good. so booked it in to the garage.

It has been through a full inspection and has several things that will be fixed on it.

Thank god for my warranty.

List of items being replaced is:

- Mass air flow sensor (MAF) - this was the major cause in loss of power on dyno

- left and right bushes being replaced

- steering hose

- diff is being cleaned and reconditioned back to condition

- left front wheel bearing

The shitty thing is that each item falls under a separate claim so I have to pay excess x5. Oh well it would have cost me a crazy amount if I had not taken warranty on the car.

Being a bit nosey but

How did the garage pick up the MAF fault?

My rear control arm bushes (@100K) were worn/cracked and needed replacing - are the left/right bushes you're talking about front or rear?

Steering hose is a common fault - mine is fine but may well have been replaced at some stage

My diff side seals were weeping and I had them replaced (as well as the pinion seal) - dealer stuffed up the job by pushing the seals in too far but remidied for me at no cost. What are you having done?

SpikeyLemon suggested a valve clearance check - I am currently setting myself up to do this and to check the Vanos oil pump drive hub plus change the cam bolts while I have the cam cover off. The american forums are full of drama about these last 2 items and while I know that only a very small number of (thrashed?) cars are affected I am doing it for peace of mind now I am over 100kms

Look for a registered sensor fault in the DME and/or run it on a dyno and check the KG/PH and temp to see if its in range.

Being a bit nosey but

My rear control arm bushes (@100K) were worn/cracked and needed replacing - are the left/right bushes you're talking about front or rear?

Steering hose is a common fault - mine is fine but may well have been replaced at some stage

My diff side seals were weeping and I had them replaced (as well as the pinion seal) - dealer stuffed up the job by pushing the seals in too far but remidied for me at no cost. What are you having done?

SpikeyLemon suggested a valve clearance check - I am currently setting myself up to do this and to check the Vanos oil pump drive hub plus change the cam bolts while I have the cam cover off. The american forums are full of drama about these last 2 items and while I know that only a very small number of (thrashed?) cars are affected I am doing it for peace of mind now I am over 100kms

Hi bro,

The car was run on the dyno and it had been running very lean. and they suggested it could be caused by the MAF sensor.

With regard to the Bushes, my front bushes were fine. Both the left and right rear bushes were completely screwed /cracked(whatever you want to call it). apparently it is quite a big job in replacing these. With regards to my Diff, everything is sound in the diff, they just doing a clean and making sure there is no leaks. So far everything is all good with regards to the Diff. The is some back lash on the Diff, which according to them is normal on the ///M3.

They have checked my vanos and other bits and everything is in pristine condition. So no other work needs to be done there.

Where do you take your vehicle to get the work done?

Are you based in Auckland. If so I can bring the car around sometime and we can go through. It will be interesting to sit in other forum members ///M3 to see any differences in power.

4 hours away from Auckland so not easy. Raidal play in the diff output shafts is normal. Geoff Gray Palmerston North did the work but they really looked after me. The RCAB are't that hard to do if you have the tool -here is my post on the work I did on my M after purchasing last year

Edited by central3

4 hours away from Auckland so not easy. Raidal play in the diff output shafts is normal. Geoff Gray Palmerston North did the work but they really looked after me. The RCAB are't that hard to do if you have the tool -here is my post on the work I did on my M after purchasing last year

Its amazing what you did with your car mate. I would love to do this to mine, however don't have the mechanical hand and don't know much about working on cars. I must say your ///M3 is the neatest and most pristine one I hae ever seen mate. Job well done.