Sign in to follow this  
Steve K-B

E46 front arms on E36

Hey,

Ive got an E36 compact project going on, Ive just put an E46 front arm on to increase track width. I now need to increase the length of the rack end or tie rod end.

Has any one on here done this before? I have read that E90 (and maybe E92?) rod ends work but you need to chop off a small portion off the threaded end as there slightly to long. Then either cut half a dozen more threads in to the rod end (not sure if this is possible as Ive never seen one...?) to get room for a locking nut. This I would be happy with but want to confirm before I go ahead and order them.

Other option is the chop down the rack end but I don't want to do this.

Ive even read some people using both the OE E36 inner and outer but that means there only about 5 or 7 mm of thread engaged. That's not an option.

Any one been here before?

Steve

Edit, The anit roll bar link will also have to be changed. Plans are to mount this off the strut itself at this stage

Edited by Steve K-B

m3's and early model e36's have the anti roll bar on the strut so you can pinch parts or inspiration from them. I wouldn't be trying to mount it to the control arm, just because it wasn't designed for it(well neither were e46 control arms)

My notes say you'd want inner tie rods with part number 32106765235 and 32106765236

Thanks,

Turns out the E90 and the E92 both use the same rack ends and are the same part numbers as you mentioned.

Guess ill have to try and cut a few more threads on them, looks like it should be possible

Posted Image