Sign in to follow this  
oscar90

Turning m50 by hand

Hey guys, I have an M50 on engine stand in the garage... it's been sitting for awhile :ph34r:

I pulled the plugs out today and I can only turn it about 1/4 of a turn before it hits resistance either way :unsure:

It's not a huge power bar which may not be helping, but the crank turns really easy for the 1/4 rotation before it hits resistance and then I can't keep going around

if it was sezied I wouldnt get any movement from the crank at all would it?

You might have a couple of valves stuck open...how long has it been sitting around for ?

2 years

Edit; don't know how long it sat at synthe/mike's

Edited by HT.

should turn pretty easy with a power bar and no plugs. you can turn one with a bit of effort even with plugs.

might find a bigger power bar and see how I go, i'm just using a wee 1/2inch one that came in a koken set.

the 1/4 turn I CAN get is piss easy then it hits resistance after that, no matter which way you try turn it.so with my very limited knowledge, Glenns idea sounds likely,

I'll take the tappet/rocker cover off in the next few days, if it does look like stuck valves, can you just soak with inox/crc/wd40 and tap them with a rubber mallet to try get some movement??

This'll teach me for not going out and giving it a turn once a week when I got it....lazyness doesn't pay kids!

could be some rust down the bores

chuck some ATF down them and let it soak in

it may take a good few goes back and forth to loosen up