Sign in to follow this  
Napier_E36

535i AFM

Basically as the title suggests - I am sure I read on here somewhere (but cant for the life of me find it) that if I swap my 325s AFM with one out of a 535 it increases airflow and therefore performance?

I would like to know a little more about this, and any other little tricks like that. If anyone has further ideas (that actually work) please post them up in here!

Cheers

you dont have a AFM dickhead.

you have a MAF

holla

you have a MAF

holla

f**k I dont know! That would be why I asked...

I have time to kill and would like to do something other than just cosmetics to my car with that time....

What exactly is a MAF? I probably know, but I cant place it right now...

Guest Andrew

you have a MAF

holla

f**k I dont know! That would be why I asked...

I have time to kill and would like to do something other than just cosmetics to my car with that time....

What exactly is a MAF? I probably know, but I cant place it right now...

AFM = Air flow meter

MAF - Mass air flow (meter)

both are AFMs.. MAF is generally a heated wire that as it cools creates a different voltage and therefore a different airflow reading. This is what the E36 - it is usually used with a throttle position sensor whereas AFM uses the angle of the flap to calculate load and throttle position. The E30s do have TPS but it appears to be for idle and for WOT usage only.

MAP is manifold air pressure - detects changes in vacuum to work out load and air flow.

my 535 has an AFM which has a great big vane in the air intake.Your car has either a heated wire or heated strip of metal in the intake.The system also has air intake temp sensor,and by comparing the two readings(ie air temp and voltage required to keep the intake "wire " at a certain temp) the ammount of air going through the intake is calculated.......your system is less restrictive'

Is that right Gus?

Is this a straight swap with the 325i motor (e30) ?

Some sites say straight swap, others say you have to swap the internals with the stock AFM, and others say you have to upgrade injectors and run 4.0 bar fuel presure to get maximum results.

paul is right

why bother? AFM's are crap anyway. seems an awful lot of mucking around for 10hp at absolute most. also the bigger AFM has a bigger flap to move..cant see how that makes sense

Its alot of hassel for not alot of gain. Tried and over it now. 5000 - 5500rpm is the area where the most amount of gain is made.

Also the hassel of tuning the dam thing is quite stressful. Too many variables to change and get right.

Not an E36 expert. If you have the M52 motor, fit the M50 inlet manifold to it.

It breathes better.

If you check this link here, it does look like a hassel, but i reckon its decent results. If the 'other web sites' are correct in that you can do a straight swap (m20) then it would be a dream?

i WAS being generous.

7hp for injectors, AFPR, and bigger AFM.

7HP! why bother?

better to go for a piggy back ECU, lose the AFM completely, and then be able to adjust ignition timing and fuel properly

blair has the m50...dont know of many easy power ups! i know the inlet manifold is different between the m50 and m52...the m52 should easily have another 10 or so horses in it, seeing as it makes the same as the m50! just more torque.

i should have added not a recommended mod for a 1.1v motronic engines. I may have spat the dummy at it because of the lack of the o2 sencor.

my bad. but by all means go ahead if your keen. With simple egineering knowledge its possible.

i WAS being generous.

7hp for injectors, AFPR, and bigger AFM.

7HP! why bother?

It's worse than that Gus. The 7HP is only a peak gain, if you look at the dyno results it actually lost power below 3500 rpm. The car is probably slower on the road than when it was stock. Why bother indeed.

Thanks guys - Im glad that got clarified!

I have got the exhaust freedup - that made a massive difference. I had a K&N pod filter on it but it actually seemed to be a hinderence. Will be doing a K&N panel filter in it before its out of the shed again...