Sign in to follow this  
burago_2003

ASC lights on in '96 520i A

Any idea why ASC light would come on suddenly? It was working fine, took it to BMW to get some work done and when i got it back, switched on the car, next thing i know the light came on..Now apparently they did some grooming on the car and the mags are shiny as, so have a slight suspicion however they've been cleaning it could be a bit of water that got into the breaks and kicked the sensor off??

Any help would be much appreciated!

p.s: apologies if this has been posted before, i tried trawlling the forum for previous posts but couldn't find anything :unsure:

Sorry for a stupid reply but,

Did you press the ASC button to see if you can turn it off?

As above. If so & still on - why not take it back to them & get them to check? - since you picked up the car with the light on:-

Haven't got the ABS light on too have you?

Yep tried to switch it off using the button and wouldnt switch off and no there's no other lights on...

TBH don't want to go back coz i know they'll just charge me more money for a flippin reading then come up with "something that needs fixing" ...

If it's the dealership I doubt they'd charge you more money... Genrally dealers are pretty good.. well I'd hope so.

Otherwise just whinge to the MTA.

Once that happened to me and it was because the brake sensor dropped out.

But if that happened your car should not be moving past 2nd gear.

Try d/c the battery for 2 minutes and reconnect.

Turn engine on (if light still on take it for a wee drive)

Turn off engine, leave it overnight.

As above it worked after I had replaced the brake sensors and ASC light was still on. Next morning I switched it on the engine. Light disappeared. Funny that.

Any idea why ASC light would come on suddenly? It was working fine, took it to BMW to get some work done and when i got it back, switched on the car, next thing i know the light came on..Now apparently they did some grooming on the car and the mags are shiny as, so have a slight suspicion however they've been cleaning it could be a bit of water that got into the breaks and kicked the sensor off??

Any help would be much appreciated!

p.s: apologies if this has been posted before, i tried trawlling the forum for previous posts but couldn't find anything :unsure:

The ASC light came on and stayed on in my '96 528i recently. A scan showed an ASC fault which turned out to be a broken secondary throttle cable - cost about $25 for a replacement cable and voila... No light!

Worth checking to see if it is slack or frayed.

Edited by jeffbebe

Yep tried to switch it off using the button and wouldnt switch off and no there's no other lights on...

TBH don't want to go back coz i know they'll just charge me more money for a flippin reading then come up with "something that needs fixing" ...

If it is like you are telling - the problem arose as you drove off from there. If this is the case - tell them this.

If it turns out to be something they created - they will have to fix.

If it is coincidental & is another problem - it still needs to be confirmed & repaired.