Sign in to follow this  
Gunner

Would this be legal in NZ?

I've always wanted xenon headlights but the car I bought never had them. After doing some reason would this be legal in nz Visit My Website as it has the proper projector or will the original lenses still cause a problem reflecting the lights in the wrong directions etc

Someone else should pipe up soon, but I'm pretty sure the answer is no. Unless it is a complete HID headlight, with the correct markings etc on it I believe you cannot put HIDs on your car.

Although most would be glad you'd done the reflector too, since thats what makes them so blinding!

Legal - Doubt it.

Would anybody notice? Probably not. they look like they have the correct beam cut off. and since E46's have Factory HID's they'd probably just assume that?

Wouldn't it be easier just to buy a set of E46 Xeons? - you can do that perfectly legal, as those are original BMW lights for your car.

thanks for the reply. If I bought a oem set would I have to do some additional wiring with relays etc? from what I've read online its not a direct swap? have to muck around with lcm to? i guess if its too complicated I'll just leave them as they are for now and just make sure i wait for the right car next time round.

No not legal. As above, just find a wrecked one and get what you need from it - you'll need the ballasts as well, and ideally the level sensors (not just the manual adjustment). Yes, you may need to play with the LCM.

Legal - Doubt it.

Would anybody notice? Probably not. they look like they have the correct beam cut off. and since E46's have Factory HID's they'd probably just assume that?

Do you enjoy driving at night into oncoming traffic and being blinded by the wrong beam patterns produced by people fitting xenon bulbs to non-xenon lenses?

Please do NOT encourage fitting xenon bulbs into lenses that are NOT designed for xenons!

Fitting such bulbs creates a serious night time hazard to oncoming drivers.

Don't HID need headlamp washer as well?

My e46 m3 has factory hid without the washer system but I don't believe the've been retrofitted.

Excellent lighting btw.

my 120 with hid does have the washers.....I think the washers are a requirement in germany