Sign in to follow this  
rusteee

Fan coupling, and harmonic balancer

Hi guys.

I have a 2002 E39 530, and have a couple of questions. Firstly, is it possible to replace the viscous fan coupling without having to drop the coolant and remove the expansion tank completely? And how can you tell whether this car has a latent heat accumulator, or is it in every model?

Also I've had an issue with a belt squealing problem and rough idle when cold start, since having the cooling system done (minus the fan coupling for some stupid reason). Upon doing a service, our local mechanic has spotted the harmonic balancer rubber has come a drift slightly in parts, and looks slightly worn, which he showed me to prove. This is probably a question for Glenn, but could this be causing the squealing belt noise? Upon taking the car back many times after the cooling system done to have the noise sorted initially, it had the alternator replaced, and extra idler pulley added and few other bits an pieces, getting rather expensive so i gave up, and the noise always came back. Is it a major job to have the harmonic balancer replaced? My local mechanic isn't going to touch it as he's not too sure with BMW.

Cheers

Russ

Edit:(added pic just to show what I mean)

post-5533-1344040230.jpg

Edited by rusteee

You only really need to remove the top bleeder hose (under the plastic cover along the top of the radiator), because you need to remove the fan shroud. It's all prety easy really, certainly don't need to loose the coolant anyway. When was the water pump last done though???

All the belts (both actually) and the tensioners need regular replacing, the bearings can crap out and take the plastic puuleys out and break things you don't want broken.

Yeah I thought that would be the case but thought I would ask first, as I havn't done a coupling before. I was not liking the thought of bleeding the cooling system :rolleyes: as well as it should have been done while the rest was getting done <_< really not happy about that. I'm hoping at least the water pump was done, as all in all it did cost a fair bit. I know these things are prone to fail, but I don't have the facilities to do those things, so I trust mechanics to do it for me. Need to find someone reliable I can drop my car off for a week and have all the issues resolved :rolleyes:

If you are going to have the cooling system overhauled just ask for the parts they replace to be left in the car.

If you are going to have the cooling system overhauled just ask for the parts they replace to be left in the car.

I know, I have been told that numerous times, but I didn't even think of that, lesson learnt <_<