Sign in to follow this  
*RJ*

When good tyres go BAD.

I've been doing a brake change on my car this morning and naturally had the tyres off. Last week I notice I had a slow leak in the tyre so I filled it up and was going to have a look at it today...

Here's the photo's of what I found.

post-6-1122080407.jpg

As you can see the sidewall has split or rotted away. Not sure why as there is no sign of scraping on the wheel or in the wheel arch area. These tyres have only done 18000kms and have been on the car since December.

Will be going back to Federal on Monday morning with a number of questions and will wait for some interesting answers. If I had have left it much longer the two individual splits would have met each other and caused the tyre to actually come off the rim - I do most my driving on the motorway at 100km/h so that would have been messy.

Edited by *RJ*

duh

your not supposed to actually drive your car, it may wear out the tyres

looks nasty....18000k aint a lot

Are they too wide for your rim? Don't know, just asking. Should be on a 7" rim for that width. I assume yours are.

It could also have something to do with the load rating. However 87 should cope with your car.

Go down to Marshall tyres in Newmarket and speak to Leon Marshall. He give you good advice.

Maybe it has something to do with the 'Made in Taiwan" on them also.

Edited by cainchapman

OK, I've blown up pic 3. You've got 8" wheels. Got no idea.

Buy decent tyres this time.

Hmm, I've just gotten a sidewall puncture in one of my new Cdrives. Pretty pissed off as it has full tread so its a real waste of a tyre.

Hmmm, don't know about over here, but a mate in aussie told me that over there taiwanese tyres are illegal - although tyre places have been known to sand the "made in taiwan" logo off the sidewall.

Don't buy taiwanese tyres.

Bugger Ryan - make sure Federal replace them with something decent - I would refuse to have the same tyre, and request they replace them all.

A different size of the same brand and model may be different as even though they are the same tread, often manufacturers use different methods and factories to make different sizes of the same line.