Sign in to follow this  
Mavrick

Inspection light

hay im new to owning a bmw, its a 1987 m325i and i was just wondering what the inspection light on the dash actually meant? my dads owned bmws for the past 16 years but he didnt have any idea as to what it means.

any help would be appreciated, cheers

just for indication that an oil service is due....most people dont know how to reset it so it just stays on....easy write up on www.bmwe30.net. is a bit of a gimmick......i end up changing oil often enough it doesnt really matter

Agreed, the inspection light and service light is a bit of a gimmick. I normally change oil/filter every 6 months, Mobil1.

The article Gus mentioned is very good, I've just reset mine. If you pull off the diagnostic cap there are pin numbers on the underside.

Good choice of car too. :thumb:

Cheers for the reply

When i got the car the light was already on yellow and its just turned red, but the guy i bought it off was a mechanic and regularly serviced it so i didnt think it was anything major.

The electrics are a bit stuffed on the dash anyway, the rev counter stays on 2 and a half rpms so im taking it in to the bmw shop to get it sorted.

Yeah i'll get sum pictures up soon, once i've cleaned it.

the service routine is oil service,inspection 1,oil service,inspection 2 and so on.So if it says inspection its due for a inspection one or inspection 2.If it was an oil service it says oil service.And then there is the annual inspection(little clock symbol).

I dont want this to sound as rude as its bound to appear, but how do you own BMW's for 16 years and not know what the lights on the dash mean :(

Has your Dad always taken it in for a service before theyve as disappeared or something ?

Nah sweet as martyn wasnt rude at all, hes always been mates with a guy that works at the bmw shop so has continually taken his cars in well before they need and oil change, so the light never really got a chance to shine.

Also he is an old bastard and so he may have easily forgotten....

Also he is an old bastard and so he may have easily forgotten....

:lol: