Sign in to follow this  
euroriffic

E36 door lock solenoid boxs

I'm sure all you e36 owners, and probably other models that have these locking boxes have had them fail at some point resulting in non locking/unlocking doors or sometimes unable to unlock a door altogether.

I've done three in the sedan and not long replaced the two rear door ones on the touring, one twice as the replacement didn't work either :angry: and now the other one has failed already aswell as the passengers door one and you all know how much of an arse they are to replace! Best method I found was to drop the lock/ latch mechanism down and use that hole to push new one on instead of removing window and rail and outer handle as Haynes manual shows. Bit of fiddling around but saves pulling the whole door apart

Anyway! I don't what to be having to do this over again with second hand parts to have them fail again, nor do I want to pay 100 odd dollars for new ones.

I've had a look at an old one which just seems like the motor has burnt out. If that's the case that's an easy fix since it's just a wee tamiya car style motor so cheap as to replace.

Has anyone else had ago at repairing them with a good result or is more the plastic drive gears that fail in them?

Your thoughts and comments on this are greatly appreciated

Guest Ari Gold

I'm sure all you e36 owners, and probably other models that have these locking boxes have had them fail at some point resulting in non locking/unlocking doors or sometimes unable to unlock a door altogether.

I've done three in the sedan and not long replaced the two rear door ones on the touring, one twice as the replacement didn't work either :angry: and now the other one has failed already aswell as the passengers door one and you all know how much of an arse they are to replace! Best method I found was to drop the lock/ latch mechanism down and use that hole to push new one on instead of removing window and rail and outer handle as Haynes manual shows. Bit of fiddling around but saves pulling the whole door apart

Anyway! I don't what to be having to do this over again with second hand parts to have them fail again, nor do I want to pay 100 odd dollars for new ones.

I've had a look at an old one which just seems like the motor has burnt out. If that's the case that's an easy fix since it's just a wee tamiya car style motor so cheap as to replace.

Has anyone else had ago at repairing them with a good result or is more the plastic drive gears that fail in them?

Your thoughts and comments on this are greatly appreciated

Just go new. It's gonna last longer than the car will at this stage.