Sign in to follow this  
kevintr

BMW 735i 2001 150,000km $13,000

It is a Singapore imported car

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=504860190

Is it a good car with good price to buy?

Any ideas about Singapore car? (electronic, functions ...)

Please give me your advice. Thanks !

Singapore is a lot more humid than here (or Japan, for that matter). Tends to play havoc with electrics - of which there are a lot in the 7 series. I'd stay well away, but I'm pretty cautious (have been burned before on an Audi A6). Don't forget also this is up there with the 'flagship' model, so parts will be equivalent to a $100k+ car regardless what you pay for purchase.

I know that's not what you want to hear, but that's my experience - I just don't want others to get sucked in to a supposed 'deal' on an ex-Singapore euro then be up for 10's of thousands worth of parts and constant trouble.

Personally, wouldn't do it, had a 02 NZ new 745i and that has had its fair share of things go wrong, and i work in service for BMW!

but if you really want it then buy an autosure warranty and hope for the best!

they are a sweet cruiser!

Yup, as Aidan says. These are a very complex car with plenty of things to go wrong, and do as they grow in age.

Problem is - they are "cheap" to buy now, great bang for buck, but as alluded to above - they were a flagship car when new & very expensive at the time. As was the realitive maintainance cost.

This cost hasn't changed, adding to the cost of part failures as the age increases - I have both seen & heard of some expensive failures in them.

Not one of BMW's best models for reliability/durability. That said they certainly are a nice car to drive.

Problem I see at work is people that have bought a BMW (or Audi, Benz) for the "label", often cheaply, but then unable/unwilling to spend money on the repairs that arise - not realizing that the comparable BMW /Audi/Benz are technologically many years ahead of the comparable year Jappa/Holden/Falcon & therefore more involved to repair.

I had a S Class out of Singapore - it was fine, having been in NZ a number of years which may have made a difference. I had zero electrical issues. They are however a costly car to maintain correctly but IMO no worse than my current E39.

My only concern is that this is the first model year of this 7 series. Generally the first year(s) are not as reliable as the face-lifts.

Edited by NZ BMW

Thank you all for your opinions and experiences.

I just arrived NZ for 2months and do not know much about kinds of car, insurance, ...

I am currently seeking for a used bemmer in Wellington. It would be good if anyone can share the information of:

1. Where I should go to find a car? (Auction, TradeMe, Kent Tce ...)

2. Should I need to bring mechanics and where I can find him?

3 ....

Thank you !

1. Everywhere. I bought one from Turners Auction in Christchurch, and now I have this Compact for sale.

2. Do a PPI @ Jeff Gray or Page Euro or Powerhaus

Edited by 318Touring