Sign in to follow this  
shadowninja

What to get... new stereo

I'd hook up an Ipod or something similar.

Although in saying that, i saw something about a person putting a laptop in their BMW on Bimmerforums.com, and they hooked it up through the glove box.

But yeah get a good brand like Alpine, Clarion, Blaupunkt, Pioneer etc etc

Not a Reactor from the Warehouse though arghhh. I also heard that Fusion is made in the same factory as Reactor.. not saying this is true or anything, but can someone please verify?

Any good aftermarket unit will have an aux-n you can plug your ipod etc into. Run the wires to somewhere convenient that you can semi-permanently mount the ipod, or buy an i-trip and put up with the slightly degraded sound quality.

Good, old Blaupunkt... I can't say I like much of their new stuff, but the old Bluedot used to make some really nice units, a few of which found their way into audi's as factory equipment, and were excellent units.

Of the few I listed above, the clarion and JVC both have multi-colour displays that will give you the desired orange or red. Most older Blaus also have red or orange displays - nakamichi also use red or orange - they are pricey for a new one, but you might find one secondhand somewhere for a reasonable price, and they are extremely good quality but a little hard to use.

Emma - lots of companies have "cheap" brands to sell crap and feed that market - usually the build quality is worse as they cut corners, and the components are cheaper too. Transonic is made by Panasonic, Teac used to be a really good brand, and Sanyo make a range of stuff from excellent to sh*t, so it really depends. For example, I would never buy reactor, but I would also never buy regular fusion rubbish - only their "competition" stuff is value for money - nothing really that wrong with their cheaper stuff except that for the money you can do MUCH better.

Another example is Infinity - they have a huge range of gear from crap to good - you just get what you pay for.

Edited by bravomikewhiskey

The factory BMW E46 stereo has Aux-in you just need to buy that converter thing .. and then they install the plug to basically where ever you want in the car ..

I inquired about it already and it's about $300 inc the converter and all labour .. If you have a look a the new 1's and 3's you'll see the aux-in plug already installed ...