Sign in to follow this  
tmase

E39 Bluetooth

I am getting close to ordering the Bimmernav Bluetooth retrofit kit for my E39. It is a Japanese import and has the pre-wired JBIT phone prep but according to Bimmernav you can change the pin-outs of the connectors so it should be plug and play. I know it is freaking expensive but I've got a Euro Mk IV Nav system so I kinda like the integration the OEM system offers. Additionally the voice recognition control for the phone and the nav sounds cool as well. Apparently the latest generation of ULFs allow access to your phone contacts and will display texts on the nav screen and/or OBD display.

I've looked at after market Bluetooth systems but most of them are setup for i-Phone/Pods, which I don't own and require losing your CD changer functionality, which I do use - I know I'm old school. Though I do admit that streaming music via bluetooth would be nice to do.

Before I drop a big wad of cash on this system does anyone know of any reason why I shouldn't. Are there any cheaper aftermarket alternatives that'd offer a similar level of integration?

Would a TCU be a better option? I can't seem to find much information on how they'd work in New Zealand.

As a bit of an aside, I know this isn't probably the best place to ask but you never know - the phone book and SMS compatibility of the Bluetooth ULF system is apparently contingent on the Bluetooth component of your device supporting something called Message Access Profile. Does anyone know that if a Samsung Galaxy SIII bought through Telecom NZ would support this?

Tim, ULF is the best way to go - total integration. TCU does not give voice control nav, not sure what else as I haven ot had anything to do with these.

Can't speak of ULF - Samsung compatibility but I would expect should be fine. I know it integrates with iphone.

I have only retro fitted one ULF to a Jap import, (seen through a couple of others) the kit they supplied was not plug/play, I identified both systems & swapped the pins in the plug accordingly - deleting what was not required, cut the coding lug off the plug so that it would fit the ULF module.

That said, with hindsight, I understand there is a more straight forward option of connecting straight to the car loom plug. You would still need to connect pairing wiring if you want to pair from inside the car.

Give me a shout if you need any other help

Cheers Grant, probably will get in touch if I get into trouble. Bimmernav people seem very helpful, I've exchanged a few emails with them and they got me to take some photos of my wiring to confirm a few things, so I am sure they'll do their best to help out if I come unstuck at install time.

I did some digging around and found a PDF which indicates which pins need to be changed out on the 54 pin connector in the boot to make a JBIT system work with the ULF but I can't work out what needs to changed on the 18 pin connector up the front.,

JBIT_to_ULF_wiring.pdf

I got this thing pretty cheaply (around $7-800 shipped) on eBay:

Posted Image

It's basically a rip off of the Dynavin system. Seems to work well. It doesn't look quite as flash as the more expensive Dynavin and the software is functional but not flash. It was easy to install - straight plug and play (as long as your current system doesn't have DSP) and has built in DVD/CD player. Also has SD card slots so you can rip up to 6 albums onto the SD card, so no need for the CD changer in the boot. Bluetooth is good and the built in mic has been fine so far (you can plug in an external mic and run it up the side of the windscreen for better sound). The nav system works well - I just installed the GPS aerial on the metal bar behind the unit in the dash so it's hidden away.

You can get a wireless reverse camera for it for around $60 and they do a version with digital TV aerial built in, though I didn't bother with that.

See my thread

Bimmersport

I discussed with BimmerNav and they sent me a kit as if there was no Jap phone there, and it connected right back to the big connector on the passengers side ( not suire if Sedan is the same )

That way it was plug and play, no pin swapping needed.

I've looked the Dynavin systems and derivatives, if I didn't have upgraded nav, TV, CD changer, and a retrofitted reversing camera already I'd be keen. But it'd be a shame to pull all that out just to get bluetooth. I'd imagine you'd loose the ability to reset your trip computer when you install a system like that as well.

Checked out your thread Greg, looks like a great result, hope the Galaxy integrates as well as your iPhone did. Are you able to access SMS through that system?

Checked out your thread Greg, looks like a great result, hope the Galaxy integrates as well as your iPhone did. Are you able to access SMS through that system?

No SMS feature that I have found. Very unusual to have that feature, I know some of the new VW's do, but that would be exception.

Apparently SMS 'might' work, the ULF apparently supports it, but it could just be certain handsets and the Bimmernav people have yet to see it work.

From my emails with them:

the SMS, possibly. Mine is not Android 4.0 but the previous version.

I did read that android was putting in MAP (message access Profile) in

4.0 I however have not seen it work myself. the ULF supports SMS,

the question is does 4.0 build of your phone have it in there. Is

your phone also called the Gallexy nexus?

I'll do some playing around once I get it going.

Gidday Tim,

Ive just arrived back in country and am catching up on all the forum posts.

I did the ULF fit to mine and have some notes on removing the Jap phone and fitting the ULF. Dont use it much but it pairs to my Blackberry fine. We should catch up again sometime and you can have a look at what I have done.

Cheers Dave

Apparently SMS 'might' work, the ULF apparently supports it, but it could just be certain handsets and the Bimmernav people have yet to see it work.

From my emails with them:

I'll do some playing around once I get it going.

Gidday Tim,

Ive just arrived back in country and am catching up on all the forum posts.

I did the ULF fit to mine and have some notes on removing the Jap phone and fitting the ULF. Dont use it much but it pairs to my Blackberry fine. We should catch up again sometime and you can have a look at what I have done.

Cheers Dave

Sounds good Dave, work rang tonight and I have to shoot over to Aussie later this week for a while, not sure when I'll be back but I'll let you know.