Sign in to follow this  
scott_e30

e46 locking system temperamental

as per above.

The remote locking is VERY temperamental, i can stand for 15 minutes trying to get the car open.

Have replaced battery in remote.

Must note that the lock in the door isn't usable as the plunger inside the mechanism is broken, so the only way to get into the car is via the remote unlock. Although before that happened (two weeks ago) the remote unlock was still very temperamental.

ANY help would be extremely appreciated.

Cheers!

You now have more than one problem. First you must get into the car. If you can get it open, keep a window open. If you can't you might have to choose a window to break... I can suggest which one. Then you need to repair the manual lock in the drivers door first and fix the window you might have to break. Then you need to deal with the key or GM5 control unit fault. I doubt this can all be done for for $600

You now have more than one problem. First you must get into the car. If you can get it open, keep a window open. If you can't you might have to choose a window to break... I can suggest which one. Then you need to repair the manual lock in the drivers door first and fix the window you might have to break. Then you need to deal with the key or GM5 control unit fault. I doubt this can all be done for for $600

It does open - just takes a while. So what would you recommend doing? Cheapest way I think is going to be getting a 2nd hand drivers lock unit and use a separate key to get into the car and the original to start the car.

It does open - just takes a while. So what would you recommend doing? Cheapest way I think is going to be getting a 2nd hand drivers lock unit and use a separate key to get into the car and the original to start the car.

Take it to Glenn and get him to fix it properly. It will be faster and likely more cost effective for you.