Sign in to follow this  
Shemy

BMW E30 Starter Motor won't crank

I know it's been covered a few times but I'm not sure where it stands!

Went to start the car at 7am this morning, very cold day and it started but it was rough running in park. Once I stuck it in drive it was totally fine....

I then went to start it later on, turned it all the way and nothing happened, did it again and it started after a couple of seconds of doing nothing...

I then went to start it tonight and nothing happened, all electrics come on but no sign of the starter motor moving...

Any ideas?

is it in park or neutral? silly question maybe, caught me in the merc once tho! does the starter click once when you turn the key to start? youll have the open the bonnet to hear this probably. the starter wont spin unless the plunger is deployed

Went to start the car at 7am this morning, very cold day and it started but it was rough running in park. Once I stuck it in drive it was totally fine....

I then went to start it later on, turned it all the way and nothing happened, did it again and it started after a couple of seconds of doing nothing...

I then went to start it tonight and nothing happened, all electrics come on but no sign of the starter motor moving...

Any ideas?

Start with your battery , is it in good condition and fully charged? A low battery will cause some weird symtoms.

try hooking up a jump battery and see if that makes any diff. If it runs better with the extra juice it will give you a clue.

Any ideas?

check out this...

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....showtopic=27120

Ok so after leaving it last night I eft the car until 4pm today without trying it, I tried it again and had no hope, tried it for a second time and it didn't start but after 5 seconds of holding the starter motor started! The car eventually started but it was very rough running and the radiator fan was on too....give it a few revs and it was idling funny, once it was warm this idling trouble stopped and everytime I pushed the accelerator it revved fine....Ggive the car a blast for 45minutes turned it off and now it won't start again....

Any ideas?

Regards

Ok so after leaving it last night I eft the car until 4pm today without trying it, I tried it again and had no hope, tried it for a second time and it didn't start but after 5 seconds of holding the starter motor started! The car eventually started but it was very rough running and the radiator fan was on too....give it a few revs and it was idling funny, once it was warm this idling trouble stopped and everytime I pushed the accelerator it revved fine....Ggive the car a blast for 45minutes turned it off and now it won't start again....

Any ideas?

Regards

Are the battery connections tight, and clean inside on the contact surfaces? dirty or poor connections can cause a bunch of weird issues!

I used jump leads yesterday and had no luck, the electrics work in the car and then dim when I turn the key to crank.....

Guest Ari Gold

1. Check your voltage at the battery.

2. Is there a click as you turn the ignition on?

3. Is the fuel pump priming as you switch to acc?

4. Is the fuel pump relay switching?

5. Is there a whine after the car starts? Could indicate stater solenoid not disengaging.

6. How difficult is the key to turn?

7. How old is the green temp sensor?

8. Is the ignition switch providing enough current to the starter solenoid?

Any ideas?

Regards

head gasket

Ok just an update, ended up 'hitting' the starter motor and it worked, still on and off but sometimes it starts other times it doesn't....the relay I think ticks twice then stops. Bad connectors?

Anyone got an idea of what this could be, maybe a bad eearthing point?

I put my hand on the solenoid while a friend tried to start the car. I felt the contacts inside the solenoid, once the key was turned back it made a funny noise from the solenoid.

Hit it a few times and moved the wires and it started.....

Ok just an update, ended up 'hitting' the starter motor and it worked, still on and off but sometimes it starts other times it doesn't....

Think you answered your own question!