Sign in to follow this  
e30morgs

e30 325i 1989 Timing belt failure :(

I believe the timing belt in my e30 has failed, on the Harbour Bridge of all places. Naturally there was no way I was stopping on the bridge so tried my best to at least get off the bridge, which I managed.

I took a video of an attempted start up to the local BMW mechanic and told him what happened and seemed to think timing/cam belt. Said i'd be lucky to get any change out of 2k.

I understand that this shes a pretty big job to fix with bent valves and what have you. But it needs to be done :(. How do i go about this? New head? New engine? Where do i get it done? What can I do myself? Any help will be much appreciated!

Cheers, Morgan

I believe the timing belt in my e30 has failed, on the Harbour Bridge of all places. Naturally there was no way I was stopping on the bridge so tried my best to at least get off the bridge, which I managed.

I took a video of an attempted start up to the local BMW mechanic and told him what happened and seemed to think timing/cam belt. Said i'd be lucky to get any change out of 2k.

I understand that this shes a pretty big job to fix with bent valves and what have you. But it needs to be done :(. How do i go about this? New head? New engine? Where do i get it done? What can I do myself? Any help will be much appreciated!

Cheers, Morgan

If you have time and alternative transport, get a haynes manual and take the timing cover off and have a look. If is has gone take the head off yourself and decide from there.

You might get away with valves and stem seals, or another head complete. Not sure if there are cam/rocker issues to consider but someone here will know. You can't really do any more damage by having a poke around. Farm out the head work etc though.

My old volvo has a second hand head that needed 2 valves replaced. Costs were $70 for the valves, $150 for the head gasket set which included the stem seals, $150 cash for the machine shop to hardness/flatness test , clean the head and fit the seals, find the bent valves and replace. The Turbos almost shagged but the motor runs sweet :lol: . On an e30 valves are only about $20 each.......

But don't buy any parts till you have worked out exactly what you need.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/catalog/sh...l_pg2.htm#item8

After you've taken it apart, assembly is pretty much the reverse.........

Cheers, Morgan

Stop....

you took a video to the local mechanic,

get a spanner turn the crank by hand, look in the oil filler cap , is the cam turning??

Cheers, Morgan

Turns out the timing belt is completely in tact. Took the head off today and it absolutely stunk of burnt oil/metal so possibly piston rings gone? Either way i'm thinking new motor? How should I go about a transplant? Get another m20b25, some sort of conversion? and where to get it done? Cheers for your help!!

Stop....

you took a video to the local mechanic,

get a spanner turn the crank by hand, look in the oil filler cap , is the cam turning??

Cam is turning. Took head off today smelt burnt?

Cam is turning. Took head off today smelt burnt?

head off or do you mean rockercover??

give me a call