Sign in to follow this  
twstd

E30 failure to start - intermittent - elec issue?

Thought I might post up here to get some opinions from those in the know.

I have an E30 318i (a new forray into Euro vehicles for me) and I have a couple issues.

1) Vehicle was running fine for a few months after i got it, then one day failed to start. It cranked fine but wouldnt start. Pulled a lead and checked for spark. Spark good. Suspected fuel pump related issue (maybe relay or pump itself). Downloaded a wiring diagram and before getting stuck in thought i would try starting it one last time and bingo, it starts. In a way id rather it didnt - as now i have an intermittent fault! Any guesses on what its likely to be, possible to be or definitely not? Can I rule anything out?

2) Central locking stopped working about 3 weeks after i got it. Wont lock the doors from drivers door or passengers. Have tried replacing controller unit in drivers footwell, no joy. Where to next?

Thanks in advance ;-) AL.

From your description, it sounds as though you are guessing things.

Can't rule anything out & again - being intermittent - you, as anyone, is guessing.

Could be faulty pump, relay, wiring - if infact fuel related.

Locking - get it checked by an auto sparky

Ive never had a relay fail in 20+ years of owning many japanese cars - is that something that actually happens with Beembers? Relays fail? If so i will just replace relay and pump.

Ive never had a relay fail in 20+ years of owning many japanese cars - is that something that actually happens with Beembers? Relays fail? If so i will just replace relay and pump.

Yes. The fuel pump relay can die leading to intermittent starting.

But many other things can do the same, it's certainly something to check though.

Ive seen hundreds in 30 yrs of working on ALL cars, probably mostly Japanese