Sign in to follow this  
M3 Cab

HI All

Checked out the site a while back and thought it time to register being a big BMW fan. I'm current driving a 1998 E36 M3 Convertible (picks to follow) but am thinking of purchasing a more old school car to compliment it.

Unfortunately i missed out on the Evo111 that was for sale recently

so looked at a 1990 M325i today and would appreciate any advice you have. The car is NZ NEW in Black with 140k on the clock (full service history). Its had air con fitted (by BMW) at some stage & apart from this its original and mint. It drove well but was a bit lumpy when cold (revs fluctuated at idle). The asking price is $17700

Main concerns are

Is the money about right? and any major issues at this mileage?

what do ya think?

$17.7k is more than anyone would pay on this site. i view m325i's worth as being 10ish give or take a little depending on age/condition. i say this because it really is very similar to a normal e30....just with a kit, LSD, nice seats and a couple of other minor things....not worth the usually ridiculous premium. although apparently they are becoming collectable..they are still relatively common. it sounds mint though.

it depends on what you want, if you want a mint collectors item then 10-13k should find you one easily enough. if you want a car to actually drive it can be a lot less....the earlier motorsport models are going for round 6-7k these days, which gives you 10k to play with suspension, fixing bodywork/rust, engine work, whatever your into. they will drive just as well as the later cars too. dont rush into buying an e30, heaps of people do before realising that nice ones really arent that rare, you just need to have patience to look because it can seem like sometimes there arent any

Seems a bit (read a lot) high for me.

Gus is right look around a bit. There are plenty out there and for heaps cheaper.

A kot of beemers have had a good life,cos the relatively wealthy first owners gave em lots of care and attention,so Gus,s comments about nice ones is true.Unfortunately there is some shite too.The fluctuating idle is normal on the 5 series of that age maybe the 325 too....

Welcome to bimmersport

Yeah, 17.7k seems to much for an M325i however mint it is.

Gus knows about his E30's I can tell you that for sure.

Welcome to the site

If you get a 325is then you can't really play with it as it'll spoil it, if you get a normal 325i then you can play with it however you like, my 2c

cheers for the expert advice. Still pondering but most likely will pass on the car and hunt around. A hard decision given that it was f***en great to drive. As you point out there will be another around the corner

I hope you are bringing your car to the JDC Pukekohe day on the 13th. You should get to see a collection of E30's in various forms there.

Edited by cainchapman